The theory behind Jet Pack Joy Ride

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Be discreet and rescue your friends from behind enemy lines.
  • I am unsure whether this is the right place to post or should I place this port in �General game design�, please pardon my ignorance.

I had been wondering how to create a jet pack joy ride type of game in contract 2.

I notice the background of the game are long interchangeable plates.

I would imagine the background to be �bullet� objects that gets destroyed when they are completely out of range.

The next background would appear when the current background is just about done.

The character itself stays in the same place....

I think that�s it right , even the obstacles are bullet objects.

What do you guys think ?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think it would be easier to have a static background and apply physics behavior to the joy-rider with impulses pushing it upward and gravity pulling down. It would look more realistic, IMO. You could keep the screen centered on the player with the Scroll to behavior.

• Anyway, in need, check the how do I FAQ there are quite a few examples of scrolling and other useful mechanics that you may want to use in your game.

• I made a simple Jetpack Joyride clone once to test C2 in Kongregate and Facebook!

http://apps.facebook.com/115386608566776

I've uploaded the project on dropbox so you can check it out. It's not the latest version, but you can see the core mechanics there.

I'll try to find the recent project and update it.

Let me know if you don't understand it! It was a "one-night-project" so I wasn't trying to comment events or anything...

EDIT:

I hate when I forget to put the links...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7324985/SmellyanCat.rar

• Great work gammabeam!

Be careful of the Black holeeeeee ;p

Very in depth example.

I wonder why the Facebook version have no sound :(

Zetar, I hint your advise but that will create a non changing background no ? Jetpack Joyride seems to have a series of interchangeable backgrounds that interlink randomly.

And most importantly, using your suggestion, what happen when the character reaches the end of the layout ?

How do we wrap the whole thing without the user realizing :(

Thanks Kyatric, I will check it out :)

• Thank you Kyatric, Zetar is Brilliant!

A single sprite with internal animations, each holding a single frame.

All one have to do now is change/randomize the "animation" when the next one comes in.

There will be only two sprites in all.

This is BRILLIANT!

Thank you Kyatric and Zetar.

• I made a simple Jetpack Joyride clone once to test C2 in Kongregate and Facebook!

I've uploaded the project on dropbox so you can check it out. It's not the latest version, but you can see the core mechanics there.

I'll try to find the recent project and update it.

Let me know if you don't understand it! It was a "one-night-project" so I wasn't trying to comment events or anything...

EDIT:

I hate when I forget to put the links...

Was searching for a clue, and found this thread. Unfortunately the dropbox link was deleted. Can someone reupload? I'm kinda stuck on my project and need this clue. Would really appreciate.

• Penghaw

Why not click on the orange link in Kyatric post ?

• Gammabeam would be possible to upload again the SmellyanCat.rar????? I would like to take a look at. Capx to take some questions.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)