RGBAChannelSeparation

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • Um, can someone tell me where I can find some documentation on this effect? I've done a search through the manual, and the forum search tells me "too many common words" when I try to feed the effect name into it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think this isn't an official webGL effect. Anyway, there isn't that complicate to figure it out. The first 3 parameters are shifting the RGB colors that compose the image on the X axis, the next 3 parameters are doing the same for the Y axis and the last one controls how much of the above will be shown.

If you apply the effect on the sprite, it will be bound to the spite's own dimensions (it will not "bleed out" color beyond its actual borders). If you apply the effect on a layer however, it will spread the RGB colors of each and every sprite on that layer around.

The way it shifts the colors is a bit strange though.

If you push the Red color 100 px on the right (when applied on a layer for example), it will create an image without the Red channel 100 pixels on the right (a bluish image like having only the G+B channels), and keep a reddish image in place. (The same thing will happen for any individual channel.) If you add to that a 50 px shift on the green channel, you'll get a second, purplish image 50 px away (as a combination of the R+B channels) and you will be left with a yellowish image in place (as if having the R+G channels)...

I know, it's weird... It renders interesting "damage" effects when used subtly though.

• Thanks, yeah I had forgotten where I got it from (Oppenheimer) and thought it was supposed to be in the manual somewhere

Interesting observations, thanks for sharing those too I didn't know the separation could be limited by sprite boundaries if you apply it on the sprites themselves. I'll make sure I avoid that. Yeah the 100+ pixel shift behaviour is weird. Luckily I don't need to shift the channels that much. I'm just using it to simulate color bleed right now.

Maybe it could be used as some kind of shadow/motionblur trail too? Mmm...

• ...I didn't know the separation could be limited by sprite boundaries if you apply it on the sprites themselves. I'll make sure I avoid that...

Cool, just don't forget that the layer has to be transparent, otherwise it will also seperate the layer's color!

Maybe it could be used as some kind of shadow/motionblur trail too? Mmm...

That would be very interesting! Perhaps a second sprite that holds the effect on a dedicated layer and apply the effect's presentage based on the speed of the Player..? The hard thing will be to link somehow the RGB color offset in a way that follows the player's direction when he/she moves at an angle.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)