Possible to make things based on time and not fps?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Hi,

I'm working in a game which will run at drastically diferent frame rates depending on which browser the player uses and how good their computer is.

I noticed even events set to run every X seconds are actually based on Frame Rate. Is ther eany way to overcome this situation and make things happen at specific intervals instead of being frame-rate dependant?

thanks

• I looked at some options and see there's a function to compare the "time". I assume this would be the ideal way to regulate events to make them happen at very percise intervals. this right?

That still leaves the issue of animation speeds and movement speeds...is there a simple way to insure they don't vary greatly depending on browser and computer speed (FPS)?

Thanks

• Hello there, while I am still coming to grips with C2 myself, the best options I have seen so far are basing things on dt (delta time) which by default most platform behaviors should be. You can use dt to calculate the amount of time that has passed and base things off of it instead.

Maybe some of the others here will be able to offer some better explanation on it.

On a side note, I love spriter, great work! And just for my curiosity, is the game you're working on Nnar?

• BluePlaze,

Thanks for hte kinds words on Spriter. Right now the work being done on Nnar is all concept and game art.. but not the engine as of yet... The game in question is for a client of mine. (dayjob) Thats all I can say about it until the game is released. ;)

Thanks for mentioning dt.

wretchedshark

Thans very much for the useful link.

cheers,

Mike

• Hi,

I'm working in a game which will run at drastically diferent frame rates depending on which browser the player uses and how good their computer is.

I noticed even events set to run every X seconds are actually based on Frame Rate. Is ther eany way to overcome this situation and make things happen at specific intervals instead of being frame-rate dependant?

thanks

Actually your right. Last week another person was testing out a platformer and found that FPS determined jump height. However, that's not how it should be working. The entire point of the dt was to avoid pixel stepping from fps. Unfortunatly that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm hoping with enough topics like this being kept active that the situation will be looked into :)

Anyways love Spriter and now that your here. Will a new C2 plugin be coming out with the next beta release? C2 could seriously use one.

• Anyways love Spriter and now that your here. Will a new C2 plugin be coming out with the next beta release? C2 could seriously use one.

+100 on this one!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks again guys,

The C2 plug wont be ready at the same time as the next build is released, but its one of our highest priorities once the build is out. In fact, one of the important features we added to this build (a small part of what was taking so long;) ) is the feature to auto-name all objects within Spriter so that importing Spriter projects into C2 will be much faster and easier.. it will even auto-name objects in currently existing projects which include objects that were not named.

Construct2, Construct Classic, and the Scirra community have been a big part of Spriter's birth and will definitely be a big part of Spriter's future.

• That is awesome to hear! I can't wait to show you what my team comes up with using Spriter and C2. It's a large part of my strategy for making my workflow smoother and allowing my artist to focus on pieces at a time instead of entire poses.

• I can't wait to see, BluePhaze. As a C2 user myself, I'm just as excited at the prospects of a finished Spriter and C2 plug!

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)