Pixel Sharpning or blurring!

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Per Pixel Destruction like in "Worms" (perfect performance, no third party plugins)
  • Greetings there! ^.^

Once again thanks for this awesome site and for this awesome community!

One of the best communities i have known!

Here is to my minor question - graphics/pixels!

How come when you look at some games, they have much sharper edges than

the current of lowest pixels u can draw in photoshop?

Is it because they have zoomed the game out, or have they simply drawn their object and then drawn outside of it with a 25% strength to hide the edges?

How does it work??

Thanks for your time!! ^.^

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • On your properties for the project, put your Sampling to POINT.

You should also make sure WebGL is ON (it's right above Sampling)

This way when you scale your images, you keep the pixel nature instead of having bilinear filtering applied to the image to "smooth" it out.

• Thanks alot! However just to understand this a bit more, doesn't it still get blurry if i do it this way or? And what is bilinear filtering?

• Thanks alot! However just to understand this a bit more, doesn't it still get blurry if i do it this way or? And what is bilinear filtering?The default zoom mode for OS/Browsers tries to smooth the sprite, in which why they look blurry when zoomed in. This is called Bilinear filtering. It works best on photos and larger images due to it's nature.

Smaller spritework however needs nearest-neighbor filtering to be crisp because when enlarged and blurry, it looks like crap.

There are some CSS commands to support nearest-neighbor, however some browsers have issues with it like Chrome on Windows (I hear it works on Linux/OSX though) This means that even if you do POINT sampling, it still could come out blurry on some browsers, which is why you have to have WebGL enabled as it'll use WebGL to do Point/Nearest-Neighbor.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)