Pinball Physics Demo and Geek Discussion

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Demo Game Multiplayer Online with member registration system
  • Updated Pinball Sandbox with Simpson's Theme Fan Game:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial-games/pinball-sandbox-demo-13984

I also tweaked the flipper and ball for better finite control and added some grit to the ball so you can aim it very accurately. You can really control the ball about as well as in real pinball now with a little practice.

The game scoring and missions are still in development but you can see where I am headed.

I am working on the editor and also a mobile version and flat screen editor version for people that want to design their own games.

I have a website set up now so I can start promoting the game and sandbox editor when it is finished:

http://pinball-sandbox.comli.com/

All great Pinball players use Bump and a hard bump on the front or sides of the machine will dislodge a stuck ball or kick a ball out from a dangerous spot. Use it sparingly!

Demo here:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial-games/pinball-physics-sandbox-demo-13984?action=updated

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I Have been working for over a month on a realistic pinball sandbox game that will allow people to create their own pinball games using different components and share their game creations.

The biggest issue I have is with getting the ball and paddles to perform as close to real pinball physics as possible.

I have solved MOST of the issues but I still have two that I just can not figure out and I need help from you serious physics masters please.

1- The ball sometimes goes through the paddle

2- the ball bounces off the tip of the paddle when stalled

Here is the Demo so you can see the problems:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial- ... demo-13984

Play around with the Demo and you will see the two problems listed.

Here is the events being used:

Here is the ball physics settings:

Here is the Paddle physics settings:

Here is the Paddle Collision polygon:

Paddle origin point:

Paddle Hinge point:

Paddle impulse point:

As you can see in the demo the paddle action is smooth and you can stall the ball very well and the paddle feel is very sensitive and realistic.

UPDATE: Yes I got the physics fixed- I hope!

I added Angular Velocity to the events and that slowed the flippers down a wee bit so collisions were recognized.

Here is the new version of Pinball Physics Demo so you can see the difference:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial- ... ion2-13990

I was going to upload the new version to the old version but for some reason it keeeps giving me the same old version. Any help on that?

• Setting the ball's bullet setting to yes should fix the ball going through the paddle.

• Setting the ball's bullet setting to yes should fix the ball going through the paddle.

Thanks.

I tried setting it to bullet which does solve the problem of ball going through paddle but it creates a problem of ball shooting off paddle on a stall.

I think I have it solved by changing the paddle angular velocity.

The ball coming at certain angles at the right speed must be missing the frame. The paddle isn't there but our eyes don't see it not being there because it happens so fast lol!

• UPDATE: Physics for flippers now fixed. Added a variable speed ball plunger so you can lay that ball in slow and gentle or hard and fast. Use the red dot as a guide. Also fixed targets so they return and added a kicker hole that grabs your ball and gives you a second ball.

Demo here:

Bookmark the game and you can watch the progress as I work to complete it. More obstacles like caves, tracks, and lights, buzzers, whistles and bells all in the works now that I have the physics working.

• lamar thank you for this.

it can help many people who love the challenge of designing good 2d pinball game layouts to concentrate on the layout / graphics and not be bogged down with what you are tackling here.

well done.

• wow,

i commented before i actually played the demo.

it is great.

i did not know you were using horizon perspective layout instead of top down.

will the physics still work accurately with a top down table design? some designers prefer that angle. but it would be great if your template supported both.

also, you should turn off the plunger once the ball has entered play on the table. i found out that i could use the plunger button while the ball was in play. which kept it from ever going down the side traps...lol.

• wow,

i commented before i actually played the demo.

it is great..

Thanks Harrio!

The perspective is just a visual thing. All objects are actually flat so it will work for any table angle or perspective,

This is still a work in progress and now that I have the flipper and ball physics working correctly I will work on the play field design and add in lots of bells and whistles and lights.

Bookmark the Demo and you can follow along with the updates and I have lots of tricks I will be using in this one.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

• The perspective is just a visual thing. All objects are actually flat so it will work for any table angle or perspective,

i thought that was the case. i just wanted to make sure.

coolbeanz.

also, i cannot get the newest build 13990 to come up on the arcade. only the older build 13984 works.

cannot wait to see the extra things you come up with.

i have had a few pinball designs that i wanted to do for fun. this just might get me there.

• i cannot get the newest build 13990 to come up on the arcade. only the older build 13984 works.

You probably have to clear your cache if you played the old demo. I had to do that.

• UPDATE: New sound affects. 3 Ball Limit and Bump and Tilt Feature. Score board for two players but no leader board until the game is finished.

All great Pinball players use Bump and a hard bump on the front or sides of the machine will dislodge a stuck ball or kick a ball out from a dangerous spot. Use it sparingly!

Demo here:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • MAJOR UPDATE:

I didn't care for the original pinball cabinet I was using so I rendered out a new cabinet that is much sharper and also set to scale so more playing field room.

I also changed the background, added a spinning wheel, more graphics and sounds and tweaked the playing field to make it more challenging and fun.

I just need a few more lights and a theme for the first game and then I will make a leader board and send this off to the Game section instead of Demo section.

After that I will work on making this a sandbox game so you can change all the features and design your own pinball games to share with your friends.

Here is the new cabinet:

Here is the Demo link:

If you still see the old version you need to clear your browser Cache.

• Very good. I really like it. The controls are perfect now. I'm excited to see some of the themed versions! Great job on this.

• Very good. I really like it. The controls are perfect now. I'm excited to see some of the themed versions! Great job on this.

Thanks Burvey!

I am very pleased with the new cabinet and looks real sharp.

I plan to make this a sandbox game so people can design their own themes or use existing themes. Lots of assets out there and graphic artists would have a field day designing their own components.

For now I will get the game working with a few themes of my own and then start working on the sandbox features.

Glad the keys worked for you. I noticed the letter keys seem to have more issues with ball clipping through the flippers? I will have to hit up some people with more experience to see if that can be rectified.

I also set the game so it should look good in both Chrome and Firefox.

Did you use Firefox and does is it look OK?

• Yes, I tried it in both and the layout was good. I did find one bug. Push the up arrow on the plunger instead of down and you'll see what I mean.

• Yes, I tried it in both and the layout was good. I did find one bug. Push the up arrow on the plunger instead of down and you'll see what I mean.

Oh my heck!

All my practice playing and I guess I never pushed the up arrow and seen that lol!

Oh well- I will get it fixed in the next update.

Thanks for notifying me.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)