Multiplayer game with a permanent server ?

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Very simple code without excess options (15 events for server and 11 events for client)
  • Hi.

I would like to create a multiplayer mini golf game.

The idea is having an online, permanent server on which players connect, and they land in a global chat room. So, ALL players are client.

From here, any of these players can create a private game on which other players can connect. Then desired, the private game host launches a game. The "host" player shouldn't be a real host, but a client too as every player action should be calculated from my server.

I've made a very first prototype of my multiplayer mini golf when I was learning how to make a multiplayer game with Construct, but I don't know how to create a public server on wich every player connect to, instead of having a "local" server instance created when the first player connects to my game.

I'm not sure if a player which creates a private game should be a real "server", which locally calculates its own actions as well as the other player actions in the same game (asynchronous multiplayer, and that's what I did on my prototype), or if all actions should be calculated by my online, permanent server. Which seem, on the paper, simpler.

The thing I didn't like in my asynchronous prototype was that I had to have different events for when a player does an action, according to the player type (server or client). Like "if host … else …".

You can have a look here : http://canapin.com/construct/canagolf/0 ... lf-07.capx (start two instances as this prototype need this exact number to work)

Any idea or suggestion ? I don't mind using third-party plugins as long as they're reliable.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There are lots of options for third party servers, but you need to learn server-side coding to make use of them.

There are a few non-programming answers like Parse.com, but I know how to program in Java, so this was never an issue for me.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)