Minimap for Random Dungeon

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Two types of minimap: "full map" and "player is the center" (square map and radial map)
  • How could it be done? On every other aspect of randomization I've got it down. I know exactly how I want to have my dungeons generate, but I need a map to chart rooms as you discover them. Think "Binding of Isaac" style of dungeon and map.

Is this too big of a question? If someone knows how to do it, just let me know, but if you have some ideas, maybe you could just point me in the right direction, since I also kind of want to figure it out for myself, at least partially.

• Definitely possible. check this sample by R0J0hound for generating random "rooms", maybe it'll help you:

scirra.com/forum/roguelike-map-system-untiled_topic51967_post327292.html

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I also kind of want to figure it out for myself, at least partially.

How about layer scale (depending on how you are displaying your world) ?

Have fun.

• Interesting. This is pretty much exactly what I did to get my random dungeon.

I still need to know how to make it save the "room" left behind as it enters a new room, so it can be returned to.

Right now the entire game is one layout. That layout is a room that generates doors, hazards, and monsters, but I need the doors to lead to a new instance of that same layout, which will randomize again, and so on. If I can figure out how to get from one layout to another, and save all previous layouts, then I'd basically have this game in the bag.

• ight now the entire game is one layout. That layout is a room that generates doors, hazards, and monsters, but I need the doors to lead to a new instance of that same layout, which will randomize again, and so on. If I can figure out how to get from one layout to another, and save all previous layouts, then I'd basically have this game in the bag.

Use a Global variable called RoomNumber to keep track of what room you are in.

When you exit a room do:

System->Save game to slot "Room" & RoomNumber

Then increase/decease RoomNumber based on which door you leave

When you reload the layout do:

System->Load game to slot "Room" & RoomNumber

If there is a previously saved room, it will load it otherwise it will return condition On load failed in which case generate a new random room (which you should save once created, not just on leaving)

• Thank you, this should do nicely!

• I'm trying to implement this now, I can't get the save/load function to do anything. Furthermore, I don't understand the string "room" and the variable RoomNumber. Why do I need two of them to be saved?

• You need more than one if you want to save the previously generated dungeon. Each save game will basically save that particular randomly generated dungeon. That way you can go back to previous ones if would like.

• So when I exit the room I save the game twice? And why is one in "" and one isn't? One is a string and one is a variable? What does that do, though? I understand I need the game to save my rooms every time I exit, but I just don't understand what's being said to me, honestly. What I really need is for someone to talk down to me and break it down as simply as they can. This is like Week 2 for me having this software.

• This is a super fascinating topic, can someone post a working CAPX to show the theory? I understand what you're trying to do but I have no idea how to build it myself. I'd love to see the guts if someone is willing to slap something together

• Sorry, I replaced my computer and foolishly lost a lot of my early projects, including this one. I will definitely get around to doing this again and when I do I'll post it, but it might be a while.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)