making HUD analog joystick that lines up with gamepad

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • Yes! Here is a cleaned up version of the app for the xbox controller.

Grimbarian could you do me a favor? now that we have a baseline of a fully working controller, could you take this and tweak it to represent the Ouya? Doesn't have to be pretty.

I'm wanting to shift my focus to Ouya IAP stuff so it would be great to split up the load with someone else invested in the Ouya

• here is an ouya version of the above attachment.. I removed the menu buttons from the event sheet and updated the OUYA buttons with appropriate art.

• Ok so I had some quiet time this morning and i'm not known for my patience.. so I went ahead and took a solid stab at adjusting the xbox version of the controller to the Ouya as best as I could.

Here is a link to the "final" version of the Ouya controller simulator. http://part12studios.com/games/OuyaController/

two problems that I would LOVE someone to fix that I could not:

• left and right analog triggers failed to work properly. They can work as a button, just not the analog element. As you can see when you pull them in the test above, they "jump" showing they "fire" off an event, but what I had trouble with was 0-100 stuff..
    • right analog thumbstick wouldn't work nice for me. Seems to be some issues with the Left trigger influencing the axis, but i couldn't get them to play nice together..

honestly I think there seems to be some overlap in my testing between these problems. I noticed that I could move my right analog thumbstick with the left analog trigger, so while I've labeled them as two issues, I feel like they might be related.

I have attached the project related to the link above for folks to play with and learn from and MAYBE find someone to fix it

The big thing is that since this isn't an xbox360 controller, Scirra won't be able to support problems with it. I was able to fully map a xbox controller so it IS working as they claim. Maybe at some point they will add official Ouya support, but nothing so far.

NOTE: I test with Chrome and I have noticed that each time you test you need to completely close Chrome. If you use Node Webkit you shouldn't have this problem, its just a habit for me to stick with things being on chrome

(removed old capx from this because there is a better version available further down)

• Ok so I had some quiet time this morning and i'm not known for my patience.. so I went ahead and took a solid stab at adjusting the xbox version of the controller to the Ouya as best as I could.

Sorry man - I was away with my family over the weekend and away with work on Monday - so had no time at all to even look at this.

Thanks for your work on it though - will be checking it out as soon as I have time.

• no problem, i was just throwing it out there if you had some time it wasn't too tough to remap.. I'm just disappointed about the analog controls I couldn't get to work properly on the Ouya. Hopefully someone can find out what I'm doing wrong.

• Behold! It is done.. http://part12studios.com/games/OuyaController/

(Remember if you're using chrome, the ouya controller only likes to connect once.. each time you have to close the browser and reopen it when testing things out)

the big thing was realizing that for any axis stuff i needed to use the Gamepad.RawAxis(0,0) stuff for both analog triggers and thumb sticks to insure there was no overlap..

the rawaxis mapping is:

left thumb x - (0,0)

left thumb y - (0,1)

left trigger - (0,2)

right thumb x - (0,2)

right thumb y - (0,3)

right trigger - (0,4)

Thanks everyone, especially LittleStain for your help with this. I learned a lot through this exercise.

I'm working next on getting an IAP solution for the Ouya. I'll let folks know how that goes once it's there.

in the meantime attached is an ouya controller capx.

Grimbarian we're all set.. we have access to every button on the ouya now.. analog or otherwise.

Thanks

Caleb

• You're a star Caleb - I'll be checking this out tonight as soon as possible, thanks for going through this - and sharing your work and outcomes.

Saw you on the OUYA dev hangout the other night too.

Thanks again part12studios

• Grimbarian it was my pleasure and i'm just glad to see it becoming a real possibility. I didn't get anywhere with IAP yesterday, but that has a lot to do with not connecting with Tim over at Ouya to talk about real options.

Right now though I'm looking at the standard IAP system n C2.. and I don't get how it works. There are no tutorials on how to use it for all the markets it claims it supports. I'm going to dig some more today to figure out.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • but wait there's more... ugh.. so I did some testing of my app using the new found mapping that works for PC and it seems that these mappings themselves are still inconsistent with what the Ouya actually responds too.. having this app of course was helpful because it let me test everything.. but yea there is some pretty whacked out stuff.. so I'm going to have to work on this some more to figure out the mapping specifically as it pertains to the Ouya itself..

pretty annoying because it means you basically can't do any debugging on a pc and have that version go straight to the Ouya...

so in the short term all I've managed to do is show someone how to map to an ouya controller for pc.. which isn't all that useful. i guess in a perfect world, someone could do all their dev on a pc and use this.. and then once it's fully worked out.. modify the inputs accordingly to reflect the game..

however I'm concerned with a few things I'm seeing so far.. the biggest one being that the mouse touchpad seems to overlap with the left analog x and y.. none of the four dpad buttons even registered (though left and right were fired off by the left and right analog joystick buttons.

So yea I'll see what I can figure out.. but this is a debugging nightmare.. because now i'd have to make new builds through cocoonjs.. which take around 5-10min to compile and get them on the device to then test, etc..

UPDATE: I never installed the android SDK on this machine so there is a chance that maybe I was using some kind of default windows driver might be part of the problem.. i know at one point (i'm on windows 8.1 now) that with Windows 8 the touchpad worked. now it doesn't. So that might reveal something

• however I'm concerned with a few things I'm seeing so far.. the biggest one being that the mouse touchpad seems to overlap with the left analog x and y.. none of the four dpad buttons even registered (though left and right were fired off by the left and right analog joystick buttons.

UPDATE: I never installed the android SDK on this machine so there is a chance that maybe I was using some kind of default windows driver might be part of the problem.. i know at one point (i'm on windows 8.1 now) that with Windows 8 the touchpad worked. now it doesn't. So that might reveal something

I haven't been able to test yours yet as my Construct 2 comes through Steam - so I only have the latest stable build, not the most recent beta version.

However in my OUYA game I had the DPad left and right buttons being detected as buttons themselves - so it was definitely registering them correctly for me. Seems like you may have something amiss there.

• yea i'll look closer at what's going on.. maybe accessing the raw axis is a problem.. still some stuff to investigate..

also even with my updated (but not released) version of Bee Active, the buttons were behaving right.. so yea i'm just going to have to dig deeper on this.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)