Load everything into memory at the start

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
The ultimate voice pack filled with 1,536 files of .......wav and mp3 of individual numbers, letters, and words (that go
  • Yeah; sounds ridiculous... but I'm curious if this is even possible.

My game when it starts, is quick... but as you get into the first level, the frame-rate drops a lot as it's loading, then it's perfect 60fps throughout.... it's just that first couple of seconds where it hesitates which leads me to believe it's the loading stage. I'm not 100% sure if it's possible, as the browser may not allow this to happen... but in case someone else has figured out a way, I thought I would ask.

Thanks!

• See this:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/318/ho ... ng-screens

First you see the default scirra loading bar, but just briefly. Then you have a loader layout, providing you added one. After that, the only thing which is not loaded completely is audio...and you can even force that to load if you wish.

• I have no audio in my game yet, however I see a huge delay at the start of a level... yet if I go back to the title screen, and start the level again, it's instant... which leads me to believe it's a loading process, and I wanted to completely eliminate that bottleneck... but I guess there doesn't seem to be a way... so maybe I'll just have a fade in, to hide any frame rate drops... kind of disappointing though.

• I get a similar sort of effect the first time I load a WebGL shader on some devices. First instance of the shader hickups, then it's smooth even after reloading the level. Maybe it's something similar for you?

• I get a similar sort of effect the first time I load a WebGL shader on some devices. First instance of the shader hickups, then it's smooth even after reloading the level. Maybe it's something similar for you?

Yeah, perhaps... Maybe I just have to get used to it. It's going to look pretty unprofessional, but I don't think there is anything I can do... other than removing content. :\

• Well my point was, if we're having the same issue then maybe Ashley can solve it, or we can work around it (e.g place an object with that effect on screen under a mostly black but transparent "Loading" layer, or something of that nature. I'll definitely try to solve it on my end anyway, if I succeed I'll let you know.

• It's probably the shaders, since that's the frame rate problems I've had. I would say don't worry about "unprofessional" because you can still do sprite graphics in a professional way. If it's not sprites, there are tons of techniques to use to give similar effects. The goal is not hang yourself up on a situation when it could easily be done another way. Especially if you're releasing for mobile, the screen size on most devices that people play on is small enough to where sprites look nice even without shaders (if that is what it is).

• Especially if you're releasing for mobile, the screen size on most devices that people play on is small enough to where sprites look nice even without shaders (if that is what it is).

Wii-U... which is why I don't want frame rate issues... as the system is powerful enough to handle a TON you can throw at it, but this hang up in Construct is making it look bad.

• Shaders won't work if the platform does not support webGL... so you may want to see if the Wii-U even supports it first...

• Shaders won't work if the platform does not support webGL... so you may want to see if the Wii-U even supports it first...

I'm not using any shaders. That's not what's causing the slow downs... loading is.

• Cant you use something like a delayed start of the game ?

Like, when it starts, have a semi transparent black layer with a small timer counting from 3 or 5 or something, which perhaps overlapses the reduced performance moment.

• Have you ran the game with the debugger to see where the main resource spikes are? I mainly ask because usually before you see anything else (after the initial loading screen) everything is loaded at that point. The exceptions are usually audio or any items that you are generating via events at the start of layout. Are you creating anything at the start of layout, etc... the debugger should show you where the load is coming from.

• Any progress in this topic? I don't have that huge sprites, no webgl shaders, but have a little bit complicated event sheet. Having exactly same issue : first time hiccups. It looks really unprofessional. Maybe we need another loading screen.

• Same here. I thought C2 DID load everything on start up though. I'd rather have a loader layout that can be used between levels.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Why not just add a loading screen at the beginning of the level?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)