Lag Problem - on set text

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Animated Text
$3.99 USD
With AnimatedText behavior you can make an impression of the text being “typed live”.
  • I'm making a android app - But I'm having a lag problem. It lags when the score changes, Im using a text field to display the score and the event "Set Text to" to change it. If I remove the set text event it works fine so I think that problem. Any suggestions on how I can fix it.

Thanks!

• From what I read in the forums 'Text' option shouldn't be used for games. Sprite Font should be used instead.

• No more lag!! Thank You!

• PhoenixNightly: Why shouldnt Text be used? What are the disadvantages? And when should I use Textobjects?

• PhoenixNightly: Why shouldnt Text be used? What are the disadvantages? And when should I use Textobjects?

textbox and Mobile apps have performance issues.

TextBox doesn't work with current wrappers {coocoonjs} and has loads of problems with mobiles in general.

I use spritefont for everything. Even for the PC, cause you never know if you want to port it to mobile later?

Biggest adv is you know what you getting. I create my own spritefont template in photoshop and it has shadows, 3d, whatever I want it to look like.

Photoshop, you can download 100's of free styles (wood, metal, glass etc) Can't do that with css, and even with css3 you can't get same result, besides inserting css into c2 projects is very limited.

Disadv: Obviously it isn't as easy as textbox, well it is, but the default spritefont is horrible lol.

Image below didn't come out all that well. But you don't need to create menu buttons, you can just use spritefont

• Are we just talking about performance problems with TextBoxes or also with the normal Text Object?

• Also there is a app by blackhornet that helps you take font you are permitted to use for commercial use and change to bitmap here--

I can't speak for mobile performance but for my tester project When using the TextObject I did have issues in Firefox and Chrome where they didn't appear at first. The layout had to be restarted for it to show. :/ But no problems with it in IE.

• Normal text object too.

It just happens. Spritefont is better at this stage in my experience in performance and less issues down the road.

• I've been trying to find a sprite font that is similar to the original, but not so far spaced. Anyone find a good one yet, or is it yet another thing I'll have to do for graphics? lol

• I've been trying to find a sprite font that is similar to the original, but not so far spaced. Anyone find a good one yet, or is it yet another thing I'll have to do for graphics? lol

You like the default? lol

In spritefont properties adjust the character spacing to -5 or whatever you feel is the right spacing.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Naw, it's still ugly as hell, no softness/feathered borders to the letters. I just made a new font, but I'll have to work more on it. The p's and q's and g's going under the line make the text look goofy.

• Naw, it's still ugly as hell, no softness/feathered borders to the letters. I just made a new font, but I'll have to work more on it. The p's and q's and g's going under the line make the text look goofy.

Lol, yip the default is real ugly.

I linked to a tut in photoshop above - it is pretty easy.

There are such sexy free commercially usable fonts nowadays.

• I still find SpriteFont a pain, so I only use it when I really need to. I had lag with my text with CoCoonJS, but I set the trigger to once and it sped right back up again.

• *posts an image with a fancy font and claims that this cannot be done with the text object*

Well, actually, you can use Webfonts. Or make your own fonts, for that matter... :/

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)