Isometric multiple floors

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Be quick and choose the right answer for the shown equation.
  • Sorry I don't think I'm going to be of much help for troubleshooting, I don't really have any experience in this particular application. I feel like in a bit of an awkward place, like a beginner giving advice to an expert ><

I hadn't thought about pathfinding, that is going to be quite a lot of work! Even regardless of multiplayer, I don't think there are any easy ways about having multiple floors with pathfinding... Maybe might be of use? Run pathfinding per floor via tilemap, at least to the "exit" or "stairs" to the next floor.

• Oh boy, i'm anything else than an expert ^^

For now i'm just happy that this actualy works.

But i need to get this polished, since it seems that it's only properly working for circle objects.

I will have to take a closer look at the link you've given me.

• Everade

That old sat example treats the player as a circle and collides with the bounding box of a wall not the collision polygon.

Here's a newer example that would be more useful.

It still can't access an object's collision polygon since there is no way to access it with vanilla C2. Instead you just use imagepoints to define the polygon of the walls. The player is still defined as a circle.

• lennaert

Were you ever able to get this to work?

From what i can remember your last version of the tank game used push out as soon as you've overlapped a non-solid object while at the same time activating the solid to prevent the player to walk through.

As long as the player was constantly touching the solid, other players were also coliding.

Somehow you got a workaround for that but there was a bug that as soon as the 2 players touched each other, the player who's supposed to be pushed back fell through.

Nethertheless there were always some kind of bugs which you also weren't able to fix.

Or were you actually able to get it to work in the end?

Not as we both desire haha

... too bad ... if the solid had just 1 extra filter option, either inactive on certain families with a boolean set or only active on same layer, it would save a lot of hassle ..... (or like 10 events )

The closest you (I) could get was the example you mentioned up until the player got that extra push from another player.

Another option was/is smart layout designing where you try to prevent such scenario from happening layout wise (often near impossible with stairs and/or up/down systems for floors)

A few posts back you mentioned about having the entire collision system running on both ends; which will not work in a multiplayer scenario where the objects are synced, making the peer somewhat off position on another peer (not host).

This last scenario is when I gave up, I got my examples working "ok" for my needs, up until I added a 3rd player.... then it was right back at the beginning of the issues. That tank game is a whole lot further now, but hardly has extra layers/floors.

• since it seems that it's only properly working for circle objects.

that might actually be the reason a second player can bump another player through, seeing as my objects had corners etc, and during a multitude of collisions it could be at an angle where the bump direction is towards the solid; I could imagine with a circle this being easier, that it would (near?) always bump away from a solid.

sry for the double post

• I tried to play around with solid objects , so both player can pass/collide same time. Poor attempt, but maybe this applied only to couple objects same time and only when needed with offset check, it could work?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B22kE ... VN3NVFVZFE

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • SnipG

No that doesn't work within an ONLINE multiplayer environment

It's actually impossible* using the official solid behaviour.

*only with ugly workarounds which cause unpredictable/bad bugs

I will have to use the custom "solid/collision" system from R0J0hound <---- awesome guy

One of the issues being that if you keep moving against a solid object with Player1 and then Player2 moves through him (below or above)

It actually affects Player 1 by either pushing him along the line or pushing him entirely through the object because the engine is telling the object to be solid and non-solid at the same time.

There are also other issues we were fighting with for a very long time.

But thanks a lot for your input, i appreciate it.

lennaert

Take a look at my latest upload, i actually got it to work using the custom solid system by R0J0hound!

It gives you full freedom to prevent collision with specific objects under certain conditions.

But the collisions are extremly bumpy sometimes.

Just one post above yours he answered with another example which i'm willing to test within the next few days.

I hope that one gets the job done with smooth collisions. The example looks slick.

Yet this means that i will have to get a custom pathfinding system as well since the solid behaviour is an absolute goner now *Yea suck it SOLID*

Feels like a revolt since Scirra never implemented it and we still have to wait for the new C3 engine after the release of C3. xD

oosyrag

Thanks yet again for the pathfinding example.

But i have no plans on using tilemaps, i want the players and AI to be able to move with absolute freedom.

It might take some time but i hope i can get this managed to create a snappy/intelligent enemy AI with smooth movements.

Thanks everyone for the help!

You guys are amazing

• Everade you always make for interesting forum reading, lol.

Did you get it working?

• gumshoe2029

What's that supposed to mean ? xD

And yes it works!

Here's an example:

(link removed)

You can access the 1st floor by walking over the green box and access the 0 floor by walking over the red box.

• Everade I loved your "predictable" random title. :-p And you pose interesting problems, to which folks post interesting answers that I can learn from.

Glad to see that it works for you.

• gumshoe2029

What's that supposed to mean ? xD

And yes it works!

Here's an example:

http://92.51.171.10/construct/floors_online.capx

You can access the 1st floor by walking over the green box and access the 0 floor by walking over the red box.

Hey, Everade! I can't download your file! Could you please reup? Or maybe, send me by e-mail? rayolfhcj@gmail.com

Thanks!

• rayolf

I don't have that file anymore.

If you're really interested into this specific topic, then checkout the solution which worked for me as described a few posts back.

You will need to use a custom "solid" code to be able to dynamicaly make objects "solid" or "non-solid".

The official solid system from Construct can't handle this at all.

Which means this solution works for Online - Isometric game using multiple, overlapping floors.

• rayolf

I don't have that file anymore.

If you're really interested into this specific topic, then checkout the solution which worked for me as described a few posts back.

You will need to use a custom "solid" code to be able to dynamicaly make objects "solid" or "non-solid".

The official solid system from Construct can't handle this at all.

Which means this solution works for Online - Isometric game using multiple, overlapping floors.

Right! Thanks for your answer

• I can help, probably.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)