Is it possible to create animated tentacles

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Background Story generation templates. See the Arcade demo.
  • Hello all!

I'm new to game developing, and i'm trying to get my first game in Construct 2 to work. I'm doing a submarine shooter, and the final boss for this first attempt should be a giant octopus.

Is there anyway i can make its tentacles to move? I don't mean like using frames for animation like you would do to show a player running along a platform, i'd like to make the tentacles alive a move towards the submarine. I really don't know if this is possible in Construct.

Anyone can help me with this?

Thanks a lot!

• maybe a combination of animation and making the legs separate sprites attached to the body so they can move independantly and rotate toward the sub?

• Great tip! I'll try that, thanks!

The point is, i'd like to make the stretch towards the sub, like you would do it if you were animating something vector based, if you know what i mean. But i'll try your tip. Adapt to survive!

• I actually planned on tackling this very issue in my own project later on, so I've already had a few thoughts on getting it done.

It requires a bit of work, but you can put together a fairly convincing IK setup by chaining together physics-based revolute joints. Obviously your tentacle graphics will need to be well-suited for this purpose.

Drag the blue block: tentacle attack

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Awesome, GeometriX! I'll check it right now, thanks for the file!

• GeometriX, wretchedshark, here's what i've done so far. It still lacks a lot of stuff, it's not even a finished demo, but i'm having lots of fun doing it!

(also, sorry for my bad english skills)

iconoclasta.com.br/verne

• I don't know what I just played, but I like it!

• lol, thanks!

Actually, that's me on that big head, I just had no time to create the sprite for the octopus' body, so I grabbed my photo just for the laughs.

This is my first attempt ever on game development, so this one is more like a sandbox than a game itself. But i'll improve it by this week, as soon as I find time to do it.

The original idea was to have an giant octopus as the boss, and its tentacles blocks the torpedoes. I also forgot to enable the Prevent Rotation on the player, so it spins like hell if it touches the tentacle. I also need to limit the submarine's movement so it doesn't fly above the water :)

• http://www.iconoclasta.com.br/verne/

Here's some new additions to the project. The tentacle throws the torpedoes back to the submarine, and there's some rocks falling around so the octopus can use it as weapons too.

I'll show this in the Creations' forum as soon as I finish it!

wretchedshark and GeometriX, thanks a lot for the help so far!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)