How to solve layout rotation problems?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • There is an error with me when I try to set the angle of the Layout or a layer. When I try to rotate a layer, it happens not to move or to tremble, oscillating between intermediate angles, but not reaching the specified angle. If in the place of the layer I rotate the whole layout, it works fine, until nothing happens the bug, and the layout begins to rotate without stopping. Sometimes, after several laps, the layout will find the right angle and for it. At first I imagined that during the rotation the layout used broken values. So I used "int" to specify the angle value but it did not work

Online.http://anglebug.bitballoon.com/

Capx.https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BymfAvlR-3v5dDVvbFBQeFFPVDg

• Rounding error, very common when dealing with angles.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/141/common- ... nd-gotchas

[quote:127woonl]Expecting math calculations to be exact

All modern computers store fractional numbers like 0.5 in a floating point format. If you want to learn more about it feel free to follow up the link, but we won't be detailing it here. The main point is because computers don't have infinite processing power and memory, they must sometimes slightly round results. This in turn can cause the result of a calculation to be slightly off its true mathematical answer, such as getting 0.999999 when you expected 1.

To illustrate why this happens, consider dividing 1 by 3 with limited precision. The answer is of course 0.333333333... recurring forever. However computers have a limited amount of memory and can't possibly store an infinitely recurring number like that in full. Therefore they reserve room for a fixed number of digits, then stop. For example it might calculate with six digits and come up with the answer 0.333333. This is mathematically wrong, but your computer cannot possibly store the "right" answer, so it has to make do. Then suppose you multiply this result by 3 again. You'd expect three thirds to equal 1, but in fact you get 0.999999 - close to the right answer, but not exact. If your game expected the answer to exactly equal 1, you might find it's not working like you expected. You can usually inspect your project with the debugger to see the real answer that was calculated.

This type of error affects all floating-point calculations in almost all software in all modern processors. There's no escape! It's just a fact of how computers work. The real details are slightly different - my example used decimal (base 10) whereas the actual representation is in binary (base 2), and recurring decimals work differently in base 2. For example the number 0.1 is exact in base 10, but is a recurring decimal in base 2. This means rounding can happen in unexpected places, even if you think you're dealing with exact numbers. It's particularly likely to affect object positions, since moving an object at an angle involves calculating sin and cos, which will usually produce results close to but not exactly the true answer.

The workaround, which you must use with any software and any framework, is to allow a small tolerance. Don't expect an event like "Sprite X = 100" to ever be true. Instead use something like abs(Sprite.X - 100) < 0.01. This allows the comparison to be true so long as the result is within 0.01 of 100, so if it works out to 99.999999 your event still runs as expected.

• oosyrag

Much better than simply pointing to a solution, is to help understand what causes the problem. Thanks to you, I was able to evolve one more level. Thank you!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Alternatively, you can round() your value so that you hit whole numbers. Use whatever fits best for your project.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)