How far off is the debug mode with fps

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Create a game inspired by great arcade classics as Operation Wolf
  • Is it a true representation of the fps you'll get after export or is it usually lower?

I've ran a few different games through the debugger, mine and other examples i've aquired over the last year and the all are around 30 -45 fps.

• It is fair, just make sure you are not on the default main debug page, as that can use a noticeable amount of CPU.

• What do you mean by 'default main debug page'?

• So i added a textbox to show fps and cpu % during lan testing, would that be closer to what can be expected?

• Debuggers always have a performance impact - to truly test without the overhead of the debugger, you have to make measurements in non-debug (normal) preview mode.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Put the debugger in a different tab, that generally helps a lot.

• Yeah when I run the debugger it lags but the normal game is fine. I don't use the debugger to track performance.

• Debuggers always have a performance impact - to truly test without the overhead of the debugger, you have to make measurements in non-debug (normal) preview mode.

Do you mean putting a textbox with the fps and cpu % expression you've written about?

• By what oosyrag means, it's the main information you see below upon onn launching a debug preview. All your global variables, the cpu/memory loads, etc. It's called System, as noted on the list on the left side of the debugger.

It's also true, monitoring things with System as the main focused debug window will give you significant fps drops. Switch to a different object, such as a sprite or an array and the fps will usually go up instantly, if not after a couple of seconds, jump back to 60 FPS or so.

[quote:p0l6mu7u]So i added a textbox to show fps and cpu % during lan testing, would that be closer to what can be expected?

No, as with the caveat above, a textbox or text object displaying fps will still suffer EVEN if you happen to keep the System view up in the debugger. Also, as for what Ashley said, he means the normal preview mode. It'll have "localhost:xxxxx" instead of "localhost:xxxxx/debug".

Keep mind if you're seeing fps dps while not running System, you may have a bottleneck caused by one of your events and/or event sheets.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)