How do I use != in an expression?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
  • Hello, I am going over the System expressions, and I cant seem to find an operator for not-equals. I am trying to pick by evaluate all backgrounds that do not have the instance variable "Static" so my expression would look something like this:

GUIbackground.Type!="Static"

Looking in the manual I see a bunch of great operators, but i cant seem to get a workaround for not equals. I tried to invert the Pick by evaluate condition block but C2 does not seem to feature this option for this type of condition.

Sorry, I am used to binary operators in C#.

Anyone have workarounds for this?, TIA for any help.

• There totally is an options named <<≠ not equal to>> when you pick the <<Compare instance variable>> event.

• Use <> instead of !=

So, GUIbackground.Type<>"Static"

• Use <> instead of !=

So, GUIbackground.Type<>"Static"

Brilliant! This will save me lots of time. This saves me from making 12 other conditions.

Thanks so much

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • "<>" is even in the manual, you must have overlooked it ^^.

• "<>" is even in the manual, you must have overlooked it ^^.

Relational and equality operators

Less than (<)

Greater than (>)

Less than or equal to (<=)

Greater than or equal to (>=)

Equal to (==)

Not equal to (!=)

Yeah, I have never seen <> before.... The above are all I know from C#.

Is "<>" a java script thing?

• It's used in BASIC, SQL and probably others.

!= is more common and is used in c, Python and JavaScript off the top of my head.

Some languages even use something different like ~= in Lua.

• Ok, I was wrong, was under the impression that https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/77/nat ... onstruct-2 was a manual entry. My bad.

It's nothing new that those operators are not the same across all programming and scripting languages, though.

• There's a manual page that deals with operators, although it's a section in the Expressions entry.

• There's a manual page that deals with operators, although it's a section in the Expressions entry.

Yeah,

[quote:exeqcdyl]There are also comparison operators =, <>, <, <=, >, >= for comparing values. They return 1 if the comparison is true or 0 if false.

Dose not say what it is really... I assumed it meant everything except for the value I was testing.

It's used in BASIC, SQL and probably others.

!= is more common and is used in c, Python and JavaScript off the top of my head.

Some languages even use something different like ~= in Lua.

Thank you this is very useful. I only have dealt with Python and C#. i would like to take a Java script class someday.

Ok, I was wrong

Apology accepted.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)