0 Favourites

How do I store local co-op RPG elements

• I'm creating a local co-op RPG game, up to 4 players can choose from up to 10 characters (each with their own move sets) I need to store/persist player variables like:

-Level

-Character Name

-XP

-Money

-Base Health

-Base Damage

-Ability 1 Level

-Ability 1 upgrades

-Ability 2 level

-Ability 2 upgrades

-Ability 3 level

-Ability 3 upgrades

-Ability 4 level

-Ability 4 upgrades

-Armor Piece 1

-Armor Piece 2

-Armor Piece 3

-Armor Piece 4

-Armor Piece 5

and probably more that I cant think of. Should I make 1 array to store all this information for all 4 players, 1 array per player, or 1 array per character? I need them to persist through layouts, and I might possibly need them to save between play sessions as well.

• Construct 3

Buy Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Buy Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If i understand it right, i would try making an array for each player and then when it comes time to play or make a new game with the player just have a function to call for when a specific character is chosen and then populate the array based on that so that you would be dealing with 4 array instead of ten array and having to erase them every time.

And then for the rest If i remember right there are some value that should be stored in array and then in dictionary. Not sure what is best used. Im working on a system myself but its just for one character atm. as for persist you can just set the array to global. Saving the game is one area i have no explored yet.

• If i understand it right, i would try making an array for each player and then when it comes time to play or make a new game with the player just have a function to call for when a specific character is chosen and then populate the array based on that so that you would be dealing with 4 array instead of ten array and having to erase them every time.

And then for the rest If i remember right there are some value that should be stored in array and then in dictionary. Not sure what is best used. Im working on a system myself but its just for one character atm. as for persist you can just set the array to global. Saving the game is one area i have no explored yet.

thanks! That's what I'll do then! I'll do a player 1-4 array. And assign the player's variables on each start of the screen based off of the global array.

• If all four players have the same amounts/types of information, I would just use a single array. But that depends on how comfortable you are using arrays and their expressions I suppose. It could compact your event sheet significantly, but at the same time make it harder to read or understand.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)