How do I reduce filesize?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Hi,

Recently made my first game which is really simple drag and drop game. The game itself is 7 mb total. But I need the Google Play Services and Admob plugins. (use cranberry's atm) Which makes the game a big 50 mb of space, 7 times as big.

I believe that my game is a typical "on a busride have 5 minutes to w8/spend" game so I'll install this app quickly for fun. But if it's a whopping 50 mb on a 4g or 3g network the 5 minutes are already over before the download is even finished. Which I think will result in less installs. So my question is "is there a way to reduce the filesize" somehow?

I've seen that the plugins also install docs and examples and that this has the biggest filesize. But if I remove these Intel XDK gives errors when building.

Thanks in advance!

• Okej so dropped it to 9 mb by not building it with Crosswalk but just Android. Not sure why one wants to build with crosswalk then in the first place? Everything is working accordingly and I even have a slight performance increase.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Okej so dropped it to 9 mb by not building it with Crosswalk but just Android. Not sure why one wants to build with crosswalk then in the first place? Everything is working accordingly and I even have a slight performance increase.

Crosswalk has better performance on lower versions of Android (less than 5 Lolipop), that is 4.x. Android 5 has good enough WebView that Crosswalk is usually not required. But if you want to support older versions*, too, I think you can't get a good performance without Crosswalk.

*this is the main problem for me on Android. First, Google makes the OS. Then the device company edits it. After that, your carrier adds some things. After all these steps, you receive the OS update, which could actually be already more than a year old. It is also limited to a country, it takes different time to come to a different country.

But if your tests show that everything works fine without Crosswalk, then you can probably build without it.

• Tested it on 5 devices(Oneplus 2, Nexus 6, Galaxy s4, 2 x Galaxy s5's) now and it only doesnt work on both the Galaxy s5's. Weird stuff. On 1 s5 the play button doesn't even work to start the game. The other has a fps of 10. Man this sucks...

• Tested it on 5 devices(Oneplus 2, Nexus 6, Galaxy s4, 2 x Galaxy s5's) now and it only doesnt work on both the Galaxy s5's. Weird stuff. On 1 s5 the play button doesn't even work to start the game. The other has a fps of 10. Man this sucks...

That's when Crosswalk comes in. Since it has a kind of browser integrated (~18 mb), it works about the same on all devices.

• Doesn't matter in this case, if I do Crosswalk or not. Still terrible performance.

• Okej so I got a pretty good answer reading this post:

Sorry for not finding it sooner. Just posting this to help other peeps comming across the same issue.

Thanks, thread can be closed.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)