How do I open a project that has an invalid file?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you can create your own archer game and customize it however you want.
  • I am a little frustrated with Construct 2 at the moment, and I don't know what happened. It says:

Failed to open project

Cannot find object texture file 'TiledBackground.png' in the project texture folder. Check the file has not been renamed or removed. Under element: c2project \ object-folder \ object-type Line 62, column 9.

The file may be invalid. Try checking the file in a text editor (projects are saved in XML format).

I checked the folder and the TiledBackground.png file IS in the texture folder. I did not rename it or remove it. This is so completely random, I don't even use this image anymore, I haven't tampered with it so this can't be directly a result of what I've done... perhaps indirectly. I don't know what this "Under element: c2project \ object-folder........." thing is all about. The problem must be that the file is invalid (the project file, based on what it is saying). But it does not appear that projects are saved in XML format, they are saved in "Construct 2 project (.capx)" format/file type. And if I try opening it in notepad, it looks like a foreign language! I don't understand "¥YñÅýÿýŸÿûÕ¿þ~3ì½Ï&ÓÁxôõ<5½lt5¾ŒÞ~}q7{s.zÿúì?ÿ§" symbols. I don't know what to do, and I don't want to lose this project. I have not made any other saves either. Is there a way to fix this? Is there a way to use the backup file Construct 2 makes for every project? Please, any help is much appreciated.

• That does sound frustrating . Go to your project folder and rename the backup file to whateveryouwant.capx and it should work. Hopefully that's all you'll need to do.

• Thank you so much! It worked! It's awesome that there is so much support on this website!

• I'm so happy to know that you're able to get access to your project! Happy constructing!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I am having the exact same issue but the fix above isn't working for me - please help every project I create once closed I cant open - I'm using the free edition

• I am having the exact same issue but the fix above isn't working for me - please help every project I create once closed I cant open - I'm using the free edition

You need to provide a bit more information.

For a start:

What OS are you using?

Where are you trying to save your projects (i.e. local/virtual/web)?

• Win 10

Just saving to local disk

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)