How do I make a select screen using buttons?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • Hi I'm making a 2D platforming game where you get to select your character but here's the thing I don't know how it works. Can someone tell me how to do the select screen with buttons

• We probably need more information about how you expect your selection screen to work...

Have you got an example image you can post with a description about how it should work?

Most likely what you will need is simply a global variable that you can change based on the button clicks - the variable value can then be used to display the character you want to use - but without knowing more, that's about all I got.

~Sol

• plus.google.com/103883568044353 ... -ZDfi77fBA

• We probably need more information about how you expect your selection screen to work...

Have you got an example image you can post with a description about how it should work?

Most likely what you will need is simply a global variable that you can change based on the button clicks - the variable value can then be used to display the character you want to use - but without knowing more, that's about all I got.

~Sol

Just check my google plus page its Dimondman_ Modder you can find a picture of my problem

• I checked, I can't see any picture there, just the same question you posted here.

Is it too hard to put the picture here?

~Sol

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • plus.google.com/103883568044353 ... J2-6uOD_wE

• I checked, I can't see any picture there, just the same question you posted here.

Is it too hard to put the picture here?

~Sol

yes because it wont show the full link try it again this time I shred the picture publicly

• Ok download my capx file its on the leftside of this page

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/5343/h ... -game-capx

Basically how I coded the start button is what you do to make menu's.

• Ok download my capx file its on the leftside of this page

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/5343/h ... -game-capx

Basically how I coded the start button is what you do to make menu's.

It wont open but I know how to do menus I just don't know how to do the character select thing where whoever you selected the game will spawn in the character you selected

• Oh I see okay...

All you need to do is have a global variable that is set depending which character you choose...

Character1.sprite is clicked

--- Set GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 1

Character2.sprite is clicked

--- Set GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 2

Character3.sprite is clicked

--- Set GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 3

Then when the game starts you spawn the character you want, based on the value of the global variable.

GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 1

--- Create object Player1.Sprite

GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 2

--- Create object Player2.Sprite

GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 3

--- Create object Player3.Sprite

Hope that helps

~Sol

• Oh I see okay...

All you need to do is have a global variable that is set depending which character you choose...

Character1.sprite is clicked

--- Set GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 1

Character2.sprite is clicked

--- Set GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 2

Character3.sprite is clicked

--- Set GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 3

Then when the game starts you spawn the character you want, based on the value of the global variable.

GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 1

--- Create object Player1.Sprite

GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 2

--- Create object Player2.Sprite

GlobalVariable.CharacterPicked = 3

--- Create object Player3.Sprite

Hope that helps

~Sol

can you try a video tutorial XD

• It can't be any simpler than that...

Variables are a basic and fundamental part of making virtually anything in any game. There is already loads of documentation, including but not limited to the CONSTRUCT 2 MANUAL ENTRY.

My example "pseudo code" should be easy enough to follow - but if it's not, I'm afraid no amount of tutorials will prepare you for anything even considered slightly more difficult - however HERE IS A TUTORIAL about using variables. Here is ONE MORE using variables for "lives" in a game - which could easily be used for things like counting ammunition, health, or which character you've selected on another screen.

Best of luck!

~Sol

Variables are a basic and fundamental part of making virtually anything in any game. There is already loads of documentation, including but not limited to the scirra.com/manual/83/variables CONSTRUCT 2 MANUAL ENTRY.

My example "pseudo code" should be easy enough to follow - but if it's not, I'm afraid no amount of tutorials will prepare you for anything even considered slightly more difficult - however scirra.com/tutorials/804/construct-2-basics-variables:1m956jos]HERE IS A TUTORIAL about using variables. Here is [url=https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/565/beginners-tips-to-using-global-variable-for-lives-with-lives-indicator ONE MORE using variables for "lives" in a game - which could easily be used for things like counting ammunition, health, or which character you've selected on another screen. > I really hate bother you but the reason why its not simple is because I'm more of a visual learner maybe you can take some pictures or make a video to help out oh and I checked those links yeah those didn't really help too much > Best of luck! > > ~Sol >

Variables are a basic and fundamental part of making virtually anything in any game. There is already loads of documentation, including but not limited to the scirra.com/manual/83/variables CONSTRUCT 2 MANUAL ENTRY.

My example "pseudo code" should be easy enough to follow - but if it's not, I'm afraid no amount of tutorials will prepare you for anything even considered slightly more difficult - however scirra.com/tutorials/804/construct-2-basics-variables:1gm70l33]HERE IS A TUTORIAL about using variables. Here is [url=https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/565/beginners-tips-to-using-global-variable-for-lives-with-lives-indicator ONE MORE using variables for "lives" in a game - which could easily be used for things like counting ammunition, health, or which character you've selected on another screen. > > Best of luck! > > ~Sol > I really hate bother you but the reason why its not simple is because I'm more of a visual learner maybe you can take some pictures or make a video to help out oh and I checked those links yeah those didn't really help too much Best of luck!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)