How do I make a game like Atari's Tempest?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Hey guys!

Title is pretty self explanatory. I want to make an on-rails shooter with (what looks like) vector style graphics. This questions was posted 4 years ago when the Dropbox thing still worked, and they gave a CAPX file to start with. Sadly, Dropbox is no more so no idea where to start.

Can anybody help?

Cheers!

• Hey guys!

Title is pretty self explanatory. I want to make an on-rails shooter with (what looks like) vector style graphics. This questions was posted 4 years ago when the Dropbox thing still worked, and they gave a CAPX file to start with. Sadly, Dropbox is no more so no idea where to start.

Can anybody help?

Cheers!

You could always ask the original poster of the .capx to update the link.

For instance, newt posted his version HERE and I'm certain he would update his link (if asked nicely), providing he still has the .capx.

• Thatnks a great idea, zenox98!

Hey, newt, could you please, if you still have the capx, update the link so that I could take a look at your work and try and figure out if it's something I could do for my next game? <3

Thakn you all for your wonderful help as always.

-M.

• Um, it's gone, but it was so old I doubt it still worked correctly anymore.

The basics were change the angle with the left or right buttons, and setting the position with trig.

x+cos(angle)*distance

y+sin(angle)*distance

Where x, and y were the center of the layout, and distance would have been half the layout width.

right add to angle, left subtract.

Im not sure we had anglelerp() back then, but it would work well for it.

Tempest was a bit different though, as I call it didn't iterate all 360 angles, it would jump from segment to segment.

So basically 360/ the number of segments gives you the number to add.

• newt

Actually, just found the .capx on one of my old internal drives and it still works. It is very reminiscent of Tempest in it's mechanic, but will need tweaking, as you say.

I'll upload a link soon if anyone's interested........

Link to Newt's .capx here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u82am6m0l8u185v/Radeiusalphar64.capx?dl=1

• Thank you newt and zenox98 for your replies!

I haven't really gone beyond basic math stuff for my infinite runner (based on the template provided with C2) so I'm actually a bit out of my depth.

Kind of wondering if I should heed the advice in zenox98's signature and do something like breakout, haha.

I'd love the capx if you have it though, zenox98, just to see if it's something that I can sink my teeth into.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Post updated with link.

• zenox98 awesome! Thank you! I'll have to download the beta version as I'm running the latest stable which is 244. I'll get back to you once I've updated my stuff.

• Holy smokes, even back then newt was one hell of a mastermind! That's crazy, haha. I don't know if I can keep up. I'll take a closer look at the event sheets and see if I can go from there. Interested in seeing if I can get the rails going.

Thank you, zenox98!

• Actually I think Tempest was based on a set of predefined points using something like tokenat(), or an array stack where you cycle the index to move the ship.

And thanks to zenox98 for finding the capx.

• newt your skills far surpass my own, haha.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)