How do I make a 32x32 resolution game?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
An urban action gameboy Gamepack featuring sprites destined for action games
  • Im working on this project and almost everything about the design is done (sprites, level design, music) but i don`t have any idea about how to make it with a 32x32 resolution and still look in a nice window size and/or fullscreen.

Please help me, it`s for a game jam, so i dont have much time left.

Greetings.

• You set the resolution in the project settings under window size. That being said, why on earth are you making your game 32 X 32.

That being said, this resolution is far too small and it doesn't matter what you do, it probably will never look good full screen. To play the game at 32x32 resolution not scaled, the player will have to strain to see anything and scaling it up to a playable size will just make it extremely pixelated. If you are looking for a retro resolution, you could try shooting for an early pc game resolution like 320x200 or even 160x144 which is the original gameboy resolution.

• http://www.deviever.com/lowrezjam2014/

No that pixel is not a space station... its a moon.

• it looks like the lowrezjam is intending you to do pseudo 32x32... meaning, you can have 3200x3200 and conform to the criteria by having your art consist of squares that are 100px big.

• You set the resolution in the project settings under window size. That being said, why on earth are you making your game 32 X 32.

That being said, this resolution is far too small and it doesn't matter what you do, it probably will never look good full screen. To play the game at 32x32 resolution not scaled, the player will have to strain to see anything and scaling it up to a playable size will just make it extremely pixelated. If you are looking for a retro resolution, you could try shooting for an early pc game resolution like 320x200 or even 160x144 which is the original gameboy resolution.

Thanks a lot for the help, i know it`s kinda crazy but that`s the challenge of the game jam (and one of the rules), its called low rez jam, i want to give it a try. It´s intended to look very, very pixelated, and it has to move acording to the pixel grid.

Thanks again, i´ll take a look if i can do it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • it looks like the lowrezjam is intending you to do pseudo 32x32... meaning, you can have 3200x3200 and conform to the criteria by having your art consist of squares that are 100px big.

Well, yeah i agree with you, but if i do that i don´t know how to make the pixel grid movement (not in betwen pixel, but pixel by pixel).

Still that sounds like a great idea, ill try that too.

• deviever.com/lowrezjam2014

No that pixel is not a space station... its a moon.

Exactly!, thats the low rez jam, and those are the rules.

I want to get in, just need to solve this confussion.

• > it looks like the lowrezjam is intending you to do pseudo 32x32... meaning, you can have 3200x3200 and conform to the criteria by having your art consist of squares that are 100px big.

>

Well, yeah i agree with you, but if i do that i don´t know how to make the pixel grid movement (not in betwen pixel, but pixel by pixel).

Still that sounds like a great idea, ill try that too.

I think that there are several methods for creating tile-based movement that would suit your needs.. I have no experience with it, but doesn't the tilemap extension facilitate this sort of thing?

• >

> > it looks like the lowrezjam is intending you to do pseudo 32x32... meaning, you can have 3200x3200 and conform to the criteria by having your art consist of squares that are 100px big.

> >

>

> Well, yeah i agree with you, but if i do that i don´t know how to make the pixel grid movement (not in betwen pixel, but pixel by pixel).

>

> Still that sounds like a great idea, ill try that too.

>

I think that there are several methods for creating tile-based movement that would suit your needs.. I have no experience with it, but doesn't the tilemap extension facilitate this sort of thing?

I´ve never seen the tilemap extension, sounds usefull, ill look for it,

• >

> > it looks like the lowrezjam is intending you to do pseudo 32x32... meaning, you can have 3200x3200 and conform to the criteria by having your art consist of squares that are 100px big.

> >

>

> Well, yeah i agree with you, but if i do that i don´t know how to make the pixel grid movement (not in betwen pixel, but pixel by pixel).

>

> Still that sounds like a great idea, ill try that too.

>

I think i finally got it! i used your method, i used bigger sprites and used big tiles for the grid movement now it moves exactly as it should. Its as simple as that i just needed to make bigger tiles.

Thanks a lot for the help, guys you are awesome!

LowRezJam here i go.

• OK... That's pretty interesting. Guess that's a good reason to use that resolution. I hope at least what I wrote helps you with your project.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)