How do I keep memory usage small?

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Various Bell Sounds (from small to huge) / 35 Unique Clips / 2:46 minutes of audio
  • I'm working on my game Star Catcher and for it to run on a mobile device it needs to stay on the small side.

Problem is, right after I get all my layouts (4) and event sheets for them made I add the compressed version of my background and the memory shoots up to 29mb before I've added any sprites or music or events! I have it at a standard 16:9 resolution landscape mode.

Can anyone help me out?

• Do you mean image memory?

• yeah, I'm trying a new file with a smaller layout size and so far it's working.

• I don't think the layout size had anything to do with the image memory.

One of my layout's is 92000 by 3000 px, And the size is 40 mb with tons of trees and grass...etc.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Huh...maybe It's becasue I compressed all my images in export for web.

• I don't think the layout size had anything to do with the image memory.

One of my layout's is 92000 by 3000 px, And the size is 40 mb with tons of trees and grass...etc.

That file size on a mobile or browser?

• Scofano

On browser.

Really i didn't test my game on mobile.

• Scofano

On browser.

Really i didn't test my game on mobile.

If you have the time, give it a try.

I´ve been very upset with the results (but trying to figure it out how to improve them) of c2 mobile on an action game I´m working on.

• I'm planning to test on ipad and mobiles after i finish from the browser release.

• I've been able to get my file down to 20 mb and it;s running okay on mobile though there's this odd bit 30 seconds in where it slows down a bit...

• I'm planning to test on ipad and mobiles after i finish from the browser release.

If I were you, I'd test it right now (if you are really planning to release it for mobile) because at the end, you may find yourself into re-making the whole game for fps increase (if you have an action game).

Just my 2 cents.

• Scofano

What resolution and fullscreen option did you use in your mobile game?

• Oh and speaking of tablets, does anyone have an Idea USA tablet? It's what I've been using to test on android and the background sometimes vanishes when I try to test via LAN. and on my iPhone, where I'm testing it on IOS, the music doesn't play on LAN.

Could this just be a Wi-Fi hiccup?

yes, I agree with Scofano, test it on mobile ASAP. I had to totally remake Star Catcher for it to run properly on mobile especially with it being a "Catch stuff as it falls" game.

• Scofano

What resolution and fullscreen option did you use in your mobile game?

I´ve only tested on my ipad, trough cocoonJS. 1024x768px

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)