How do I find the right time for rhythm games?

1 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
10 instrumental tracks + 10 alternate chiptune versions of immersive fantasy RPG music for your media project.
  • I'm working on a rhythm game, and it functions just like a guitar hero game. I'm using a script like this:

every 0.XX seconds | aspawner spawn note at image point 0

It works, but I need to find out the right times to spawn the note.

For example:

I want the notes to spawn every beat of an 138 bpm song. I take 138/60 to get the beats per second, and end up with 2.3. which is the number of beats per second, right? So how do I set it up to spawn a note every beat?

• You simply need to access the Time and dt values. I'm going to describe this in a general coding fashion here. You basically want to check on each frame if you're hitting a beat or not:

At the start of the gameplay session, you store

beatsPerMinute = retrieveBpmFromSong(currentSong);
    beatsPerSecond = beatsPerMinute/60;
    startTIme = Time;
    currentTime = startTime;
    secondsPerBeat = 1/beatsPerSecond;
    lastBeatTime = 0;[/code:1n69c5ya]

On every frame, you want to get your current time, and check if it's approximately a multiple of your bpm. I you have hit a bit in the past secondsPerBeat though, you don't want the game to take it in account again in the next frame:

[code:1n69c5ya]currentTime += dt;
    if(currentTime - lastBeatTime < secondsPerBeat)
    {
    if( 0.8 * secondsPerBeat < curentTime % beatsPerSecond < 1.2 * secondsPerBeat)
    {
    lastBeatTime = currentTime; // you trigger some visual thing, store values, whatever. At least, you know that this frame's timing is a beat. You can check the player's precision against it.
    }
    }[/code:1n69c5ya]

It's a bit late, I'll try to make something like that directly on construct later!
    Cheers,
    Nathan
  • Oh, that makes sense! I'll play around with the code a bit. Thanks!

• Can someone make an capx with this logic?

seems kinda advanced, but its exacly what i need!

• I'm actually working on a step sequencer. The formula I came up with is:

240/(noteLength*tempo)

noteLength is the denominator of the note, so a 1/4 note would = 4, a 1/2 note would =2...

tempo is bpm

a beat is considered a 1/4 note

So, as per above, 240/(4*138) = 0.435 seconds between notes.

Put another way, to see how long 138 beats take, 138 * 0.0.435 = 60 seconds; that is 138 bpm take 60 seconds to play.

You can use the Timer behaviour to time the beats/notes.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm actually working on a step sequencer. The formula I came up with is:

240/(noteLength*tempo)

noteLength is the denominator of the note, so a 1/4 note would = 4, a 1/2 note would =2...

tempo is bpm

a beat is considered a 1/4 note

So, as per above, 240/(4*138) = 0.435 seconds between notes.

Put another way, to see how long 138 beats take, 138 * 0.0.435 = 60 seconds; that is 138 bpm take 60 seconds to play.

You can use the Timer behaviour to time the beats/notes.

Did you manage to finish this, blackhornet ?

• You simply need to access the Time and dt values. I'm going to describe this in a general coding fashion here. You basically want to check on each frame if you're hitting a beat or not:

At the start of the gameplay session, you store

beatsPerMinute = retrieveBpmFromSong(currentSong);
    beatsPerSecond = beatsPerMinute/60;
    startTIme = Time;
    currentTime = startTime;
    secondsPerBeat = 1/beatsPerSecond;
    lastBeatTime = 0;[/code:hkifgpqj]

On every frame, you want to get your current time, and check if it's approximately a multiple of your bpm. I you have hit a bit in the past secondsPerBeat though, you don't want the game to take it in account again in the next frame:

[code:hkifgpqj]currentTime += dt;
    if(currentTime - lastBeatTime < secondsPerBeat)
    {
    if( 0.8 * secondsPerBeat < curentTime % beatsPerSecond < 1.2 * secondsPerBeat)
    {
    lastBeatTime = currentTime; // you trigger some visual thing, store values, whatever. At least, you know that this frame's timing is a beat. You can check the player's precision against it.
    }
    }[/code:hkifgpqj]

It's a bit late, I'll try to make something like that directly on construct later!
    Cheers,
    Nathan

Valerien I'd like to use this to sync loops to the nearest 8th note, so you can play a loop or a one-shot and it won't play/start looping until the timer is on an 8th note division, could this be used for doing that?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)