How do I even make proper Animations?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
3 pixel charaters with over 8 animations each + animations with a gun
  • just saw the capx.

your issue is that you are using the player as player AND playerImages, and you need to create an invisible object.

The manual recommends: "For the most reliable platform movement, it is recommended to use a invisible rectangle sprite with no animations with the Platform movement. Then, the animated player object can be positioned on top of that. Otherwise, the changing size and collision polygon of the object as its animation plays can interfere with the Platform movement's floor, wall and slope detection, causing a shaking or glitchymovement."

this tutorial will solve all your issues:

scirra.com/tutorials/243/building-a-platform-game-a-beginners-guide/page-1

• btw you also have in separate events two of the keyboard keys (A and D if I'm correct). Put them in the same action.

• just saw the capx.

your issue is that you are using the player as player AND playerImages, and you need to create an invisible object.

The manual recommends: "For the most reliable platform movement, it is recommended to use a invisible rectangle sprite with no animations with the Platform movement. Then, the animated player object can be positioned on top of that. Otherwise, the changing size and collision polygon of the object as its animation plays can interfere with the Platform movement's floor, wall and slope detection, causing a shaking or glitchymovement."

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/243/building-a-platform-game-a-beginners-guide/page-1

Yea I remember seeing that in the tutorial. Thought it won't do any difference but looks like it does, thanks! I think it will solve the issue of the collision polygons being messed up as well hopefully.

• just saw the capx.

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/243/building-a-platform-game-a-beginners-guide/page-1

I make an invisible Player sprite, and when I do the running animations, it still flashes/move back and forth. Even before that, the animation didn't even happen, and after I made the Player sprite larger, it did happen with flashing.

What did I do wrong this time? I'm following the tutorial and have pinned the image, and I still have problems.

Please check my Construct 2 file, I've even started again.

mediafire.com

The same happens with my standing animations, so I had to make him stand still completely with the standing animation.

I know there are the other problems but they're there because I started again, the problems I don't know how to fix are the ones I mentioned.

****s sake what's the point in trying..

• Murad96 Your origin points on your walk are all over the place, that's why he's warping around. Open your animation, edit the origin (recommend hitting 2 on your number pad to center it at the bottom) then right click on the origin point in the window and "apply to all animations". He'll stop warping around then, but you'll need to set your events up differently to have it work smoothly. Lot's of tutorials to help you with that...

• Murad96 Your origin points on your walk are all over the place, that's why he's warping around. Open your animation, edit the origin (recommend hitting 2 on your number pad to center it at the bottom) then right click on the origin point in the window and "apply to all animations". He'll stop warping around then, but you'll need to set your events up differently to have it work smoothly. Lot's of tutorials to help you with that...

Thanks that fixed the problem, but how come the walking animations take ages to stop and revert back to the standing animation?

mediafire.com

If you don't want to open the file, please still try to help.

• Bump please

• Hello can someone please help me...

• It "take ages" because you don't handle the moment you release the left or right arrow keys.

If you change the animation at the moment the key is released you should fix your issue.

This is basic stuff that is explained in the how to make a platform game tutorial.

You can also check many examples in how do I FAQ.

Don't just wait for answers in your single thread, check the rest of the forums.

• I'm a kid too , You'll be impressed by the num of kids that do programming nowaday , lol , I can recommend you to not make animations for your game and make all your games with blocky art and then ask for someone to make you the sprites and pay him surely ...

• It "take ages" because you don't handle the moment you release the left or right arrow keys.

If you change the animation at the moment the key is released you should fix your issue.

This is basic stuff that is explained in the scirra.com/tutorials/253/how-to-make-a-platform-game.

Don't just wait for answers in your single thread, check the rest of the forums.

Thanks for the guides. I did actually do two of the tutorials, don't think they said anything about that. The top-down shooter and the Building a Platform game one. I finished up to page 5 then I left the rest for another time because I assumed it was only extra stuff. I didn't do the tutorial you linked because I don't have the sprites... they should be making it free, since it's a tutorial.

But how do I add anti-aliasing to the animation? if the player isn't doing an animation, there's the x16 anti-aliasing that I rendered it with, but if it's doing an animation then it goes really jagged. I've searched as well. And in the image previews the sprite looks pretty smooth.

• Help please

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Your graphics will need to be handled in whatever app you drew them with. You don't get a lot of options for handling anti-aliasing, etc... you can do pixel art style stuff, but outside of that, you need to make sure you are drawing each frame the way you want it before you bring it in.

Also, saying, I still don't get it and I didn't finish the tutorials that were suggested because I am assuming they won't help doesn't really get you very far.

You won't get anywhere without putting in the work, experiment, do more tutorials, read the manual, etc...

• Your graphics will need to be handled in whatever app you drew them with. You don't get a lot of options for handling anti-aliasing, etc... you can do pixel art style stuff, but outside of that, you need to make sure you are drawing each frame the way you want it before you bring it in.

Also, saying, I still don't get it and I didn't finish the tutorials that were suggested because I am assuming they won't help doesn't really get you very far.

You won't get anywhere without putting in the work, experiment, do more tutorials, read the manual, etc...

You're changing the words there. I said I'll leave it for another time to do, because I'm not using Construct 2 24/7 am I?

And I did set the anti-aliasing to x16 in Blender, so as I said... the images are ALREADY anti-aliased (sorry for the caps), but when the player is moving while you're playing the game the anti-aliasing turns off.

You can see for yourself here:

mediafire.com

When you open the preview of the player sprite, the edges are smooth in every single frame for every animation.

• My theory:

The reason you are getting the jagged lines is because you have shrunk your animation down from within Construct 2 to a size of 41.25x107.327 from 195x396. Shrinking objects can reintroduce jaggies (or whatever the industry term is).

Try placing another instance of your player_Image sprite somewhere, but keep it at its full 165x396 size. You should notice the lines are smooth.

I tried playing around to see if keeping the dimensions as integers or keeping the ratio of the dimensions the same helped, but it didn't seem to.

I would resize your animations within blender and redo the antialiasing there, then reimport them into construct without changing the size within the program.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)