How do I create an retro style platform boss?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • I was thinking creating something like a Megaman or Kirby styled bosses for each of my levels. I figured out how to make my enemy boss "teleport" and "fire spread shots", but I can't figure out how to make him move in such as manner that it telegraphs it's moves before it does them:

What I have;

Enemy-Diving Left(animation), increase speed, bounce back when collision with wall object

What I'd like to have;

Enemy-left .2 seconds, stop, right .2 seconds, stop, left .2 seconds, stop, then dives Left (animation) Increase speed, bounce on collision of wall object, stop.

Mainly how to program start and stop motion for enemy AI movement... I guess Path movements as well if that's applicable.

• For moving, you can create a state machine of sorts. Or flags, that say when the boss is moving.

i.e.

BossMovingToPoint1 = 1

Action: move the boss toward x/y

is Boss within 10 distance of x/y?

Action: stop boss

The only issue is doing some "tweening" or "easing" so the movement and stopping doesn't look so abrupt. Depending on what movement behavior you are using.. you could use some deccel or assign negative number to accelerate...

have you looked into the MoveTo plugin? This makes movements pretty easy to do..and I think it has easing built in..

Using Timers also will help to cascade actions in a timed way.. You can start the Timer when the boss arrives at a destination, then start a new timer(0.2) then do the next sequence.

Then you can create other flags that say which part of the cycle the boss is in:

Cycle=1 (he's at point A)

Cycle=2 (he's at point B)

Cycle=3 (he's teleporting)

that way you can even change the order at any point..

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • not sure what I did wrong but the Moveto plugin by rex rainbow isn't available;

-downloaded 7zip (winzip said there was a problem with .7z file type)

-exported rex-moveto into 4 files in folder

common, edittime, PluginIcon, runtime

-cut folder and pasted it to Program files>construct 2>exporters>html5>plugins

-started construct 2

-error message appears

"Unable to load plugin in 'C....\plugins\rex_moveto\: Found 'GetPluginSettings' global, but is not a function

This Plugin will not be available in the editor."

Help?

• MoveTo its behavior

files>construct 2>exporters>html5>behaviors

• oop nevermind it's a behavior, not a plugin, I just noticed that too. thanks.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)