How do I create a complex level loading system?

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Hello!

I've been working on a Metroid-inspired project (seen here ), and I have quite a bit of fine tuning and gameplay worked out at this point. I'm starting to shift focus to other aspects of the game, and right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to implement level selection. I've read up on many different ways to go about level selection - everything from just having a global value for the furthest level (in order) that the player has reached, to some more complex ways of working things. I'd really like to give my players the ability at some point to not go in order, though. Or at least, that's what I've been bouncing around in my head.

Anyways, how I imagined it working was that I would use some kind of external file with some static data and some rewriteble data, like...

planet1totalmissions: 20 (number of missions to display on a level select screen in some kind of loop, for example)

planet1mission1briefing:"Retrieve important information from derelict space freighter"

planet1mission1cleared:true

planet1mission1lock:false

planet1mission1cleartime:x

planet1mission1kills:x

planet1mission1stars:3

planet1mission2briefing:"..."

planet1mission2cleared:false

planet1mission2lock:false

etc

web storage seems to be the way to do this kind of thing, but I would like to be able to modify all of this stuff outside of construct using some kind of text editor, maybe notepad++. What's the best way to implement something like this? I'm assuming a json file would be the best? in conjunction with global values and an array? In my old school way of thinking, I was originally planning on something like an .INI file, but I guess that's considerably deprecated at this point.

Hey thanks for all the help, everyone. It's been fun to see this project get to where it's at, and I really want to turn the corner from an 'engine' to an actual game.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • this seems like the best route - at least as a starting point, for anyone interested:

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)