How do I choose the right resolution for art assets

1 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Awesome drifts on auto generate way,tap to steer right.
  • Hi, good folks! I'm kind of in a struggle with choosing the right resolution for the art assets.

I am making a platformer game with hand drawn (on a graphic tablet) graphic (so, no pixel art).

As my graphic style is rather specific, tilemaps are not really suitable for the most part my project.

So, I decided to draw the whole "immovable" part of the level and later import it as one whole sprite on a separate layer. The actual "interactive" part of the environment will be invisible and will be on main layer. It will be just "a skeleton", made with simple forms.

The first level of my game is 3x 1920x1080 screens (5760x1080). So, the question is: should I draw the level in the exact same resolution or should I try to double it and the scale it down in C2?

The main reason of why I am asking this question is that since it is raster based graphic it will look bad on screens with bigger size than 1080p.

I am also worried if such a massive sprite will affect the performance of the game (I plan it only for PC release). Does the scaling is always good? Does it helps to prevent quality loss when the game scales the screen to the bigger resolution?

Thanks in advance!

• My advice would be to make it large and go with it and if it affects performance you can always scale it down and re-import. If you notice any performance hits you can always make a copy of your project and import scaled down versions and see if the backgrounds are the issue and if so do the reduced sizes still meet your quality threshold.

I have used some pretty large backgrounds and not had any noticeable slow down on PC. If you were making a bullet-hell shooter with hundreds of sprites and lots of effects then it might make a difference, but with a platformer, I wouldn't think so.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • My advice would be to make it large and go with it and if it affects performance you can always scale it down and re-import. If you notice any performance hits you can always make a copy of your project and import scaled down versions and see if the backgrounds are the issue and if so do the reduced sizes still meet your quality threshold.

I have used some pretty large backgrounds and not had any noticeable slow down on PC. If you were making a bullet-hell shooter with hundreds of sprites and lots of effects then it might make a difference, but with a platformer, I wouldn't think so.

Thanks for the advice!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)