How do I change tile width or height in Tilemap at runtime

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
slide the tiles to fill the board.60 awesome levels.
  • Hi everyone,

I need to be able to change the tilemaps image used (which I can already do) AND the tile width and tile height settings for the object at run-time.

I can't find a way to do this. Am I missing something.

If this feature is not yet supported, can it be added?

Thanks,

Mike

• Hi everyone,

I need to be able to change the tilemaps image used (which I can already do) AND the tile width and tile height settings for the object at run-time.

I can't find a way to do this. Am I missing something.

If this feature is not yet supported, can it be added?

Thanks,

Mike

This is not possible and strongly doubt it will be added.

But can't you just use multiple tilemap with different height and width?

• No, I can;t. This would be extremely wasteful and sloppy, to have EVERY possible tile width/height combination PER LAYER tHat a user could possibly choose, all sitting there waiting to be used.

Why do you "strongly doubt" the feature would be added? It's a very simple feature to add which already exists in the editor? it's only run-time access to edit those two settings that is needed.

• No, I can;t. This would be extremely wasteful and sloppy, to have EVERY possible tile width/height combination PER LAYER tHat a user could possibly choose, all sitting there waiting to be used.

Why do you "strongly doubt" the feature would be added? It's a very simple feature to add which already exists in the editor? it's only run-time access to edit those two settings that is needed.

Since im not sure what you are making, I can't say anything regarding your design, so I just trust that you need it

Why I don't think it will be added, is because I haven't notice any new things really being added to C2 for a long time, except some bug fixes and some more IOS and Windows 10 stuff. And there are lots of people that have suggested features far simpler than yours, that haven't been. So its not because I think your idea is bad, its just that based on the last updates, I just don't see it happening.

• I realize Ashley is focusing the majority of his attention on C3. That makes sense. But because they share the same system (just different UI) It stands to reason if there's an already existing and widely plug-in which is missing an obvious feature that is relatively quick and easy to add, it might eventually get taken care of.

It's hard to imagine an easier request, from a technical standpoint, though I could be wrong, and of course there's a difference between "easy" and "high priority"

• I believe it's not that easy cause of "...The Tilemap object can optimise collision detection and rendering..." - which I think happens on start of the layout when Tilemap is created.

I also think you could cheat it a bit by using little math expression. So if you have 32x32 tiles and want to change it to 64x64, you could scale Tilemap accordingly and set each 64x64 tiles on the existing 32x32 grid using loop. But it depends what you want to do and if you need tilemap just for visuals or something more.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think this is a good request- as it serves a purpose. I also wouldn't mind being able to resize the tiles(without resizing the tilesize).

Things like these are common sense, since anything you can edit in the editor should be adjustable at runtime. If it isn't then that is placing a limitation on the game-designer.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)