Fixing Save Game Slots

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Slots
$9.99 USD
Template for a slots game, fully documented in comments and video
  • Hello!

I am currently working on this tutorial for creating and naming save game slots:

scirra.com/tutorials/321/how-to-make-and-name-save-game-slots

And I feel like I have worked most of it out, but the problem that I am having is that after I press 's' and then exit the save menu, if I press 's' again, then my menu will not come up again. I just need to know how to make the pause menu come up as many times as you need it.

Also if anyone wants to double check my code, that would be awesome! I am doing this as a class project and I want to make sure that I am doing it correctly.

This is what I have so far, I have an updated version on my computer but I am currently at my school but this is close:

dropbox.com/s/69dd5umpw3ig5qv/demoSaveSlots10.capx

I will provide the link to the updated file as soon as I get home.

• This is the updated .capx file. I am really stuck and any help is greatly appreciated!!!

dropbox.com/s/atn6d75jcq62ucf/demoSaveSlots12.capx

• I've only had a very quick look and here's what I noticed:

Everything is controlled by the SavExit Global variable if this var has a value of 1 then the menu will be destroyed.

Everything selectable on the menu sets this var to 1.

So from that point on the save/load menu is destroyed upon creation.

Try adding a System => set SavExit to 0 action right at the end of event 3 in "SaveLoadScreen"

It will work **.

This resets the var value to 0 upon completion of a valid destroy routine so because the var SavExit is 0 the event at 3 is not met (SavExit=1).

** There are better ways of achieving your aim see comment two...

Good luck!!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Okay, thanks! I can't believe I overlooked that...

This tutorial is more difficult than I thought and I've gotten so far now I just really want to finish it and see how it works!

• It is quite complex, you aren't far off completing it though. Do you get to choose your assignments or are they set because if you can choose then for a later one I'll happily show you an alternative much more streamlined way of achieving this result.

• Basically we pick out a tutorial from the website, complete it, and the present it to the class who then has to complete it. It's our professor's way of having us learn the material effectively. Also, he would be ecstatic if I were able to show the class a more efficient way of doing this!

• I think you might be in my class, cause were doing the same thing. I've been scouring the forums for alternatives, but it looks like the best way is with the use of arrays(ugh).

I did see something interesting in the forums about web storage, but I don't know if it will help any (its kind of an old post)

but I don't think it will work for your tutorial.

• Not to be picky or negative, but usually you create tutorial for something you are very good at or intimately familiar with. It seems backwards to write a tutorial on functionality that you are not completely familiar or comfortable with yet. Wouldn't that lead to the tutorial possibly not using best practices or doing things in the best way?

• Ashburp I'm pretty sure that I'm the one doing the tutorial and I'm sad to say that I will probably be grilled about it in class because it's difficult for me and I can't seem to complete it.

BluePhaze I wish that we would have at least had to complete tutorials on something with a decent amount of material to reference from so that way we knew of alternative ways of doing things, but oh well I guess.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)