Essentials for a pokemon style rpg.

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Space shooter art pack for space Shoot 'Em Up genre
  • Please any of you guys can list me with the things that will be needed for my Pokemon style RPG games like all tutorials that I needed to take on for ex( random encounters,battle system,type effectiveness(like water beats fire) etc)pretty much everything that I needed to know.

• Rpg?

Everything in the how do I section sticky.

• There's actually a Pokemon Gamekit in progress here, but it's development is quite slow. Though, if you're looking to make a Pokemon game for 1:1, may I suggest Pokemon Essentials instead? It's for RPG Maker XP, so besides the cost of RPGMXP up front: Pokemon Essentials is free. Making a system like this from scratch in Construct 2 would be very difficult, though, especially with tackling a custom battle system, savedata, and data storage (such as to manage everything like moves).

Regardless, I'm happy to walk you through of what you may need to do, so you're not clueless. I've never done anything like this in Construct 2, so please bare with me as I'm just putting together educated guesses of how to make various features work in Construct 2.

One of the biggest things you'll need to do is likely work on a custom battle system. Attempting to approach that is a big can of worms, but you want to look into a few things. Arrays and maybe dictionaries (which are just hash-tables) for example, particularly. You'll probably want something to manage deciding which turn it is (such as if it's your Pokemon's turn), and that could be something as simple as a global variable unless you want to get more elaborate. A variable should be fine enough, as long as it's global.

You'll likely need some sort of thing to store and data, such as all the moves, Pokemon stats, etc. Arrays and dictionaries come to mind, and while dictionaries are far easier to learn, arrays provide a lot more flexibility and probably would be vital for handling mass-data such as moves and all their properties. I'm not really sure how to approach things like Pokemon evolution, but you could have all Pokemon be one object (with multiple sprites in the same object) and instance variables to determine unique qualities. Then just run condition checks for things like evolving based on a high enough level, etc, at a basic. You may have more work cut out though, just to pick the right instance.

Random encounters could be done by checking the player is overlapping with a sprite, and then running a random number to decide if they will have an encounter each step. You'll want some method to keep track of steps, such as a variable. I'm not sure how to approach keeping track of steps and how to increase that, so that's just a hunch of mine. Then you can use choose() to pick a Pokemon from a set list. You can use instance variables and some sort of randomization to give each individual Pokemon it's own unique stats, even for two of the same, such as a Pidgey.

Type effectiveness, there's probably more than a few ways to handle this, but for starters, the simplest solution is that each Pokemon should have an instance variable named Type. When attacking, make a check condition. Such as "Enemy Pokemon's type instance variable equals = Grass" and then act accordingly with damage or affects. Pokemon breeding would work similarly. Instance variables such as "Gender", "Egg Group 1", "Egg Group 2", and then comparing them with partner Pokemon to determine if they're viable to produce Pokemon eggs.

For handling an inventory, at the very basics, you can setup a set of graphic files or preferably, 9-patch objects and then utilize timescale to pause things if you must. Since a Pokemon inventory may arguably seem more complex than something say, for comparison, Zelda, you'll probably need arrays and dictionaries to manage inventory, what's in it, etc.

• Very very much thanks to LaDestitute for posting this I will see how many days it will take to do that I don't really care about how much time it will take I just want to make quality game that's all.

• Well i am actually working on make a pokemon engine and I have no problem sharing my events since its huge and only still only at 109 event.

You are going to need to have the paid version since there alot of variable and checks and im using like 20 arrays and checks.

Best plug in to get is CSV to array plugin. Trust me it will save you like 50 to 60 hours. plus you can excel make your own array without doing the set array action forever.

Atm im working on the Pokemon battle screen i already got the attack down done to enemy....Its a long formula lol.

So just email me question on which part you are working on and I can try to walk you through them as best a i currently can.

• Well i am actually working on make a pokemon engine and I have no problem sharing my events since its huge and only still only at 109 event.

You are going to need to have the paid version since there alot of variable and checks and im using like 20 arrays and checks.

Best plug in to get is CSV to array plugin. Trust me it will save you like 50 to 60 hours. plus you can excel make your own array without doing the set array action forever.

Atm im working on the Pokemon battle screen i already got the attack down done to enemy....Its a long formula lol.

So just email me question on which part you are working on and I can try to walk you through them as best a i currently can.

I don't know if you knew it, but you can populate arrays, dictionaries, etc using an external txt file with JSON in it.

Also, if you're intending to build a gamekit like I am, it's best not to use thirdparty plugins or behaviors, since a gamekit should be usable out of the box with Construct 2.

• Ive never learned the txt to json array but i can figure out that its just basically the same as cvs just that his plugin does it faster and there less headache. Since, his is pretty much on point in data transfer. Id would go at least take a look at it and comment about it.

All what it does really is just make it easy to populate and visualized the end product array unless if json does the same with file type txt from excel then please do tell me how.

• Thanks for reply Gearworkdragon I see if I can get any trouble I'll contact you

hi, im working on a game similar to pokemon, i need to make the PC inventory System, for store the pokemons and select 6 of them to use it in game, can you help me with that?

• SacrilAI

That part is what im working on atm If life doesnt get in the way i can get this done faster. But I would imagine it would just be moving data from this array to the other array with copying array row to another row slot. and then delete the "moved" slot

Or another idea that i had was to fake it sort of like having one array for all the pokemon caught and the first 6 "caught" pokemon would be the party only and the rest would only show up on the PC inventory and from there you can move them around on a X axis or Yaxis or something crazy like that.

But my current goal is to get a pokedex to work. But feel free to drop any mail into my Pm we can share finding.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • SacrilAI

That part is what im working on atm If life doesnt get in the way i can get this done faster. But I would imagine it would just be moving data from this array to the other array with copying array row to another row slot. and then delete the "moved" slot

Or another idea that i had was to fake it sort of like having one array for all the pokemon caught and the first 6 "caught" pokemon would be the party only and the rest would only show up on the PC inventory and from there you can move them around on a X axis or Yaxis or something crazy like that.

But my current goal is to get a pokedex to work. But feel free to drop any mail into my Pm we can share finding.

i have it almost ready, i cant send PM for now, but this is my email i can show you my capx

about the pokedex, i think i can do it easy contact me an i tell you my ideas

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)