Droid Turbo only supports Arial Font

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
High quality sound effect pack, in the following categories: droid speech
  • In Construct 2 for the Text font, i tried different fonts: Calibri, Tahoma, and Dejavu Sans. When I put the game onto the phone to test it however, the font is always the same. The font (Calibri, Tahoma, Dejavu Sans) does not show on the phone.

The font changes in Construct 2, but the font stays exactly the same when the game is on the phone. I did a side by side comparison test and there is no distinguishing them. No matter what font I set in Construct 2, the Droid turbo does not use it. It only uses Arial.

• The space between the lines of text is a bit small. Is there a way to increase spacing between the lines?

• Confirmed. I did Segoe Script in Construct 2, and on the Droid Turbo when i run the game to test it the font is normal Arial.

Does the Droid Turbo only support one kind of font? and if it supports more than one, which Construct 2 fonts will mobile phones support? It's really disappointing that the Droid Turbo, if that is the case, does not support a variety of fonts. Construct 2 offers a variety of fonts that can be used in projects. The Droid Turbo, as advanced as it is, really should be able to support a variety of fonts.

Unless there is something in Construct 2 that I am missing. Is there a setting that allows phones to use different fonts be displayed, fonts from Construct 2? Like a setting that allows the Droid Turbo to use the font that has been selected in Construct 2?

• I can't claim to have expertise with a droid (perhaps you can change fonts in a setting to see what's available, if that exists), but I believe you can get around this problem by using sprite fonts.

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/629/sp ... ere/page-3

• I can't claim to have expertise with a droid (perhaps you can change fonts in a setting to see what's available, if that exists), but I believe you can get around this problem by using sprite fonts.

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/629/sp ... ere/page-3

I did see the Sprite Font object. Is there a way to take a Font that is in the text object menu, and apply its parameters to a sprite font?

• Well, I think you'd need to make a new sprite font. There's a nifty utility that could be useful for you:

This thread also has some good links for free spritefonts:

Happy constructing!

• Does the Droid Turbo only support one kind of font? and if it supports more than one, which Construct 2 fonts will mobile phones support? It's really disappointing that the Droid Turbo, if that is the case, does not support a variety of fonts. Construct 2 offers a variety of fonts that can be used in projects.

To be clear, Construct 2 does not offer any fonts. The fonts available to you in Construct 2 are those it has found installed on your computer. Different operating systems (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android etc.) offer different fonts. Even two Windows 7 PCs will not have all the same fonts, although they all start off with the same basic font set, but not the same basic ones as on a Mac or a Windows 10 PC.

When you use a font, for example, Tekton Pro, in a game that is then displayed on my PC, my PC goes to look up if it has that font installed. If it doesn't, it looks at a font substitution file that says "if Tekton Pro isn't found, use an alternative that is in the same family of fonts" (decorative, serif, extra bold, whatever). What your phone is doing, because it doesn't use Windows fonts, is substituting your Arial with its own installed font substitute (which may look identical to Windows' Arial but will probably be something different). Your phone is telling you that all of the different fonts you have tried in the game you have designed are in the same font family as its built-in "Arial substitute" and so it uses that.

The above is, in general, why you shouldn't ever use anything other than web safe fonts in HTML5 games and if you're going to upload them to iOS or Android you should stick to the very plainest Arial-type fonts (which can still prove hazardous depending on the character set you use) or, as already advised, use Sprite fonts which have a bigger payload but over which you have complete control.

• In order to use Sprite Font, are art skills needed? Or can the Sprite font generator use pre-made fonts such as, set Sprite Font generator to use Tahoma.

If I use the Sprite Font object in Construct 2, should it show the correct font, since it's considered a graphic instead of an actual font?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This is for a text based game. Each paragraph would be its own sprite font object. Over a bunch of Layouts. that's several, several paragraphs. A whole bunch of them. They will all have to be Sprite Fonts then. I don't think a text-based game will work in Construct 2. Not if, in order to show different fonts, each paragraph would need to be its own Sprite Font object.

For graphics based games, Construct 2 takes the Golden Gem of AAA Excellence Grand Prize. I am amazed at the wonderful software the very skilled people at Scirra made. I just think for text based, Construct 2 is not the best way to go.

• Android devices don't tend to ship with many fonts, and very few that overlap with Windows. C2 shows the fonts on your system, but this is a bit misleading since it's easy to pick fonts which aren't widely available.

Web Fonts and SpriteFonts are both ways around this, since they don't rely on anything being preinstalled. For long bodies of text I'd recommend web fonts, they tend to flow more naturally.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)