Debugging layout?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
  • I'm in the process of making an rpg. I have two different layouts that I'm working on right now. One is for the works of the game, controls, health, inventory, ect. When making a level or new area of the game, I include the first layout, the one named GR (Game Rules), and then work from there, adding events as needed for plot.

My problem is, on the new layout, Its not working properly. The player isn't centered, and isn't moving, the fps seems really slow and everything is glitchy in general. I don't see why, I changed all objects over to match the GR layout layers, Seeing I decided to make that layout after the actual game layout. Everything should hypothetically work properly. Everything is on the correct layers, and I just included the event sheet for the GR layout. GR layout is working just fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Game Controls-

WASD-8 direction

Left click- melee attack

Middle mouse button- Hold for beta options (select element & tips, I don't suggest messing with)

Spacebar- Fly

I also don't suggest going to the other layouts in the game or clicking the menu button. They aren't fully working

https : / /www . dropbox.com /s/v6g91z1cj131aa1/Project.capx?dl=0

CAPX is above ^^

• I'm in the process of making an rpg. I have two different layouts that I'm working on right now. One is for the works of the game, controls, health, inventory, ect. When making a level or new area of the game, I include the first layout, the one named GR (Game Rules), and then work from there, adding events as needed for plot.

My problem is, on the new layout, Its not working properly. The player isn't centered, and isn't moving, the fps seems really slow and everything is glitchy in general. I don't see why, I changed all objects over to match the GR layout layers, Seeing I decided to make that layout after the actual game layout. Everything should hypothetically work properly. Everything is on the correct layers, and I just included the event sheet for the GR layout. GR layout is working just fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Game Controls-

WASD-8 direction

Left click- melee attack

Middle mouse button- Hold for beta options (select element & tips, I don't suggest messing with)

Spacebar- Fly

I also don't suggest going to the other layouts in the game or clicking the menu button. They aren't fully working

https : / /www . dropbox.com /s/v6g91z1cj131aa1/Project.capx?dl=0

CAPX is above ^^

Here is the fixed .capx file

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A ... ile%2ccapx

• My problem is, on the new layout, Its not working properly. The player isn't centered, and isn't moving, the fps seems really slow and everything is glitchy in general. I don't see why, I changed all objects over to match the GR layout layers, Seeing I decided to make that layout after the actual game layout. Everything should hypothetically work properly. Everything is on the correct layers, and I just included the event sheet for the GR layout. GR layout is working just fine. Any help would be appreciated.

I had a quick glance so this is based on my quick observation. Correct me if I am wrong but, I saw some big flaws in your game that caused your game to slow down. Don't get me wrong, I like your game graphics and all but you missed out the essential optimizations that was necessary in your game.

1) Don't assign random solid behavior. It is only necessary if that object and your player will collide in someways but if not then don't add them.

For instance: The reason your Player (Dragon if I am correct) was not moving is because the field in your game had a (SOLID) behavior on it and

also your dragon. The field shouldn't have that for it is only for designs.

2) For Designs in your game (For example Trees) should have their collisions "DISABLED" so that CPU will not be making unnecessary calculations.

3) Use TiledBackgrounds, TIlemaps for Trees or Designs that you put in the game repeatedly. Because using sprites takes longer in graphic rendering unlike Tiled objects(Tilemaps or TiledBackgrounds). Good job in making your flowers and logs in this using Tilemaps but I suggest using TiledBackgrounds for the trees.

4) If possible use On Collision rather than Is Overlapping if possible (For Checking for overlaps checks every 0. something seconds - let's just say it risks performance. But you can use this for some events. I am not saying to not use this.

For more info: https://www.scirra.com/blog/83/optimisa ... -your-time

https://www.scirra.com/blog/112/remembe ... our-memory

Read Ashley's tutorials, they helped me a lot in realizing that my past games failed because of lack of optimization. XD

• The project was debugged in a newer version of construct 2... and I can't update mine :/

Thanks for the advice though! I skimmed through the articles and it looks useful. I'll be adding some of those changes to my game.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The project was debugged in a newer version of construct 2... and I can't update mine :/

Still using 212.2 is unwise.

I can't see any reason for not updating.

• I freed some space on my pc, updated. I also found out a few of my layers had 0,0 parallax... noob mistake Dx

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)