Create layer on multiple layouts

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Hello,

I have multiple layouts that I use as stages and I want to add, on all of them, new layer, say HUD. So far I had to open every layout add new layer, set name and parallax, but it is inconvenient and error prone.

Is there an easy way to do this or should I add it on every layout separately as I do now?

• You can make one layout, and give it all the settings and layer, and duplicate it. (right click in project tree and duplicate)

• Thanks for the replay lennaert, but it only works when You want to create new layouts. Problem is that I currently have quite complex layouts and I want to add layers to them.

• Other than duplicating layouts and editing, as far as I know you'd need to add layers to each layout manually. Although if there is another method I'd be interested to hear it.

You can copy multiple objects at a time from one layout to another, and they'll keep their position relative to each other, which should save a some time.

In the layout without a HUD create a new HUD layer then go to the layout with the HUD already created, deselect everything but the HUD layer, select all objects, copy, go back to first layout and paste objects into the empty HUD layer.

You might have to move the objects into the correct position but you can move them all at once and it's easier if you have snap to grid on.

• Here's one way: global hud

Personally, I prefer to build the HUD dynamically in code, but it's really up to you.

• I have the same issue too when up to some point I need to copy the layer to most of my layouts but not all. Global HUD is different thing (I'm aware of this), my problem is when I get a layer setting/properties/effect right, I want to implement them to all levels and minor tweak (position, add sprites, etc) them individually. Seriously if there is a feature like it would cut a lot of production hours.

I hope this thing is in the Ashley to-do list or will be in the list at least.

• Yes, that would be a great feature, hope it will show up.

Thanks for the help.

• Create a Event Sheet. Let's call it "Global"
    • Make the effects you want. In that case "On the start of the layout - Create Object [...]"

Tell the program to create the HUD on the Layer you want.

• Now everytime you want to Add the same effect on the same conditions you can go to the Event Sheet of the layout you want, right click and choose Include Event Sheet, select "Global".
    • As far as I know this is the only way t_t
  • I have the same issue too when up to some point I need to copy the layer to most of my layouts but not all. Global HUD is different thing (I'm aware of this), my problem is when I get a layer setting/properties/effect right, I want to implement them to all levels and minor tweak (position, add sprites, etc) them individually. Seriously if there is a feature like it would cut a lot of production hours.

I hope this thing is in the Ashley to-do list or will be in the list at least.

hours ? how many layers are you talking about :P

Just a hand full of settings per layer ... and even with 20 layouts, adding and chaging the layouts should be easy.

I feel this is more of a degsin approach flaw ...

You create several layouts, probably for levels, then started working on one of them and expanded it a lot ...

As it sounds, the quickest option for you would be:

Duplicate that one layout you made furthest.

then clean out that duplicate, retaining the layers, then copy the objects from the older layout which require the adaptions, to the new duplicate. From there you can select ranges of your objects and shift them to the appropiate layer

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Without this feature expandability of projects and making updates and UI changes are spectacularly long-winded.

This certainly is a feature that needs to be implemented. I want to add an inventory system but I do not want to copy and paste the same rules to multiple layouts... instead I would rather just include the event sheet or include the layer... Life would be made so much easier if I could include the layer... i also saw no way to control the layer order in event sheets.

• Without this feature expandability of projects and making updates and UI changes are spectacularly long-winded.

This certainly is a feature that needs to be implemented. I want to add an inventory system but I do not want to copy and paste the same rules to multiple layouts... instead I would rather just include the event sheet or include the layer... Life would be made so much easier if I could include the layer... i also saw no way to control the layer order in event sheets.

:

I have an eventsheet for inventory, and an eventsheet for HUD items, which both create everything needed on any layout at layout start.

even the control panels for the inventory get created.

I just include the desired eventsheet, and voila, my layout has an inventory.

I build my inventory sheet like so, that I only need to add certain component to a new project, and I can simply copy paste the event sheet contents to another project.

• tsugaruddr

you can already do an include for Event Sheets. Events sheets are really a non issue.

As for layout creation among all layouts. It's not needed. HOWEVER the idea of a LAYER INCLUDE. So I don't believe that the OP suggestion is needed. Actually it's not. But the idea of creation a LAYER that can be done with an INCLUDE like an EVENT sheet would actually be pretty nifty feature. It would work for HUDS pretty well.

But the question is. is it worth the time and effort. Right now it's best to design 1 layout as a test layout. Implement all the features. copy and strip the copy to it's template level and then just copy/paste the template layout.

There is also the mentioned programmatic LAYER. This then only requires the OP to go through his current Layouts and add an empty layer at the top. And include a HUD Event sheet in the main game ES. Then it's all a go.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)