Changing the Sprite creation back to 512x512

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Simplistic hyper-casual game with nature elements. Tap to switch between the 4 elements and reach a better score.
  • Hello guys!

I'm stuck in an issue here. I have an App made with Construct2 r120. Since last Firefox update, my app's touch simply stopped working. I exported it with latest r146, and the touch went working again.

The problem is that C2 exported all my animation sprites to 1024x1024 and 2048x2048 png files, and with this, it just doesn't runs on my iPad2 anymore, I think because of the VRAM consumption of the big sprites.

I've searched all the software, manual and forum, for the option that I could get back the old 512x512 sprite creation, but with no success.

Please, how can I make C2 build smallers sprites, so my App gets working again?

Thanks in advance.

RoD.:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Construct 2 doesn't use the larger sprite sheet sizes if there aren't enough images to fill them up, so if you only have enough frames to fill a 512x512 sheet then it will still use a 512x512 sheet. Larger spritesheets can also in some cases use less memory since less sheet space is wasted. What makes you think that's the problem?

• Hello Ashley,

That's the only thing apparently changed since my last export with r120. I used to have a bunch of 512x512 PNG sequences and now I have a few 2048x2048, and the App doesn't open on my iPad2 anymore.

If I could choose which size C2 exports the sheets, I could exclude this as an issue.

Since it's a lot of sprites, I can't make it manually.

Is there any way to set the size of the exported sprites? Like 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 or Automatic? That would help those apps made for older gadgets.. :)

Thanks in advance.

• I think you might be referring to THIS

• Hi LittleStain,

Not exactly. What I mean is, that I used to have some sprites with the imported base sequence been 60 PNGs with 300x300. When I exported it using R119 (or R120), it was keeping the 60 files with 300x300..

Now with r146, it make 4 PNGs with 2048x2048.. What I want is to be able to set the size of the spritesheet creation: Keep the original size, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 or optimal size, so I can test if it opens with smaller sprites.

• Ashley.. Is there a way to do what I need? Help pleeease.. :)

Thanks.

• Individual 300x300 frames were probably still placed on a power-of-two surface the next size up by the GPU. So 60 x 512 x 512 images = about 62mb of memory. This is already high for an iPad 2.

Judging by what you say, C2 now exports 36 images on a 2048x2048 sprite sheet. That means all the images should fit on two spritesheets, taking about 32mb of memory total. So it ought to have saved a lot of memory. So are you absolutely sure this is the reason it won't start up?

• Hi Ashley. Thanks for answering.

Strange.. I've had some 300x300 png sequences, that was exported with 300x300, and not 512x512.

Well, since last Firefox update my app exported with r119 wasn't open anymore. I've installed the last r146, and now it opens just fine in Firefox, but in my iPad2 didn't. Gives me a black screen, and touching the screen plays the sounds randomly, sounds that where activated by touching at the spritesheets.

So looking at the files, I realized that the sprites where converted to less files with bigger sizes. Just wonder that might be the cause, reading some posts here about the consumption of the VRAM with bigger images.

If I could choose the size of the exported spritesheets, I would confirm if that's the cause.

Until then, my App won't open in iPad anymore.. :(

I'll try the new stable r152, and see what happens.

My best,

Rod

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)