Beat 'em up game help

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • Ok,I am new to Construct but I successfully passed the begginners guide and also added some more things to the guide's game like respawning or sound effects.

I want to know what kind of a movement shall I add to make a Beat 'em up game like Double Dragon or Streets of rage.

At least tell me some basics.

Any help shall be appreciated.

(I have the sprites background and now drawing the enemies)

• I believe you'll want to use the 8-direction movement. You'll need to figure out how you want to constrain movement, to keep the player in your desired bounds.

Possibly what you can do is use invisible sprites and upon collision, the player can't move further in a particular direction.

• Well, I did a beat'em up a while ago and it's quite hard. My dropbox erased all my .cap (I did on classic), otherwise i would send it to you as study material =/

You'll want to check all the collision by the shadows (even to constrain the movement). That was the easier way I found.

Search the forums for already working combo systems. They'll save you a lot of time/headache.

You'll want to use families a lot too. Expecially for different enemies sprites with similar or identical behaviours. Get yourself a license as soon as possible.

Last but not least: Keep the AI REALLY SIMPLE. It's going to be your most painfull headache if you don't.

Good luck on your quest, LegoGuy

• You should divide your work. Beat'em Ups aren't simple are require a lot of specific and complex behaviors.

I am considering making a beat'em Up, so I already narrowed down some of the topics I'll have to work on. I'd probably do it on this order. Here's a list:

� Hero Movement

� Hero and enemy collision (when punching, kicking, check if attack hits)

� Hero and enemy health: drops when hit, plays death anim. when =0...

� Level: scene scrolling, enemy spawning events, screen locks until they are dead, etc...

� Common Enemy AI: When they move, attack (consider their at. range), drop their guard, retreat...

� Special Enemy AI: Bosses, sub bosses, etc. may have different speed, size, attacks...

� Combos and special attacks: grabbing and throwing, combo animations, etc...

� Any other additional feature: Specials, Animal Mounts, 2 player combos...

� Screens: Game over, Begin, Continue, Menus... The whole menu system.

It's a lot of features for you to work on. I'll be using this roadmap if I start to work on the Beat'em Up.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey! I'm working on one too. So far, I got the following.

Character moving around.

Punch combo. (with the z button)

Hitboxes.

Capx file

I'm moving very slow because I'm not that experienced with C2. Made a few platformers and trying my hand at beat-em-ups. But Gammabeam, I would definitely love to see how far you go and learn collaboratively.

• Here are some links that I've kept for reference/resources.

http://www.scirra.com/forum/beat-n-up-examplesFarsmile90 has a Karateka style beat em up. The animation/hit stuff/movement types are there.

http://www.scirra.com/forum/8direction-with-jump_topic50137.html

This one is a decent trick for simulating jumping in that space.

I think you're aware of that one already, KrazyKaos. :)

http://www.scirra.com/forum/enemy-movement-and-ai_topic49926.html

Here is one with some alert states that I was trying to include into my project.

• Hi i was wondering if anyone knows why enemy characters would automatically move to the left on a beat em up game, the enemy itself is in his idle animation but he moves forward towards the player attacking him when in range but walking past him before turning round but getting stuck at the side of the screen!

I would post a capx file but the forum is not letting me as I dont have enough rep points.

Thanks in advance

• ShinDan

Hi i was wondering if anyone knows why enemy characters would automatically move to the left on a beat em up game, the enemy itself is in his idle animation but he moves forward towards the player attacking him when in range but walking past him before turning round but getting stuck at the side of the screen!

I would post a capx file but the forum is not letting me as I dont have enough rep points.

Thanks in advance

Please don't bump a thread that is nearly 4 yearls old with the same question you have already asked in a different thread.

Have a little patience - users are from many different time zones so a response can take a while.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)