Arrays problems (getting value with randomization)

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Hi everyone, I've checked, probably 5 or 6 arrays tutorials and also all the arrays related stuff in the "How do I" topic by Kyatric but I haven't found the solution for my problem.

I have an 2D array filled with monsters. Here's an example :

(0,0) "Blue Slime" //name

(0,1) 1 // level

(0,2) 3 // HP

(0,3) 1 // XP

(1,0) "Red Slime

(1,1) 1

(1,2) 5

(1,3) 3

I also have a monster sprite will all animation frame setted to 1 monster visual.

Frame 0 for Blue slime and Frame 1 to red slime here.

I want to spawn one any of the level 1 monster in my array. In this case both Blue Slime and Red Slime can be spawned since they are both level 1. To have the right visual I want to changed the animation frame of the sprite related to the monster.

So, how can I find all Level 1 monsters in my array (for instance I have 89 monsters in it) and choose one of them at random and spawn it by switching my sprite animation frame related to the monster chosen?

Thanks !

• Here is an example. The meat of it is the function "Populate"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gosbr09liscl1e7/pickArray.capx

If you need help with the random picking, let me know. But now you have an array that is populated with all level 1 monsters, you can just pick a random one.

• I completed ArcadEd example with another function to retrieve the index of a random monster of the wanted level.

You can then store that index in a local variable to get all the info you want on that monster !

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7004246/pickArray.capx

• Thanks guys ! I'll have a look at those right now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks again guys, I've tried this and that works perfectly.

Magistross, there's one thing I don't understand though.

After the "for each" on the array, you have another condition to check if Array.CurX, 1) = Function.Param(0)

I understand what it does but I don't understand how this works with the for each condition.

• It's an iteration on the X axis only. So for each X (or monster in our case), check if its level (y = 1) is equal to the first function parameter (desired level). If it is, I add the current index to the list of candidates.

I could have done a normal for loop, but since the array was set in such a manner, using the built in for each X axis was easier at that time.

• Allright ! Way clearer now. Thanks a lot :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)