Any1 know what this error is?

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
Use this game pack to create your own game, modify the existing game or simply take a look and see how it was made.
  • Happens when I am opening multiple instances of my game.

Was trying to stress server load. got to 13-ish instances of the game and now this message.

I'm using chrome.

Im not even using any audio in my project yet.

• I deleted my audio object from file...it was not in use.

This fixed my issue.

But when I go to release I plan to have sound. If The server or game cant have a certain amount of clients with sound...this is a major issue.

• I believe the issue is related to creating so many instances of your game on a single machine.

• That sounds like it may be a localized bug. I would reach out to Ashley for better input. That error sounds like it's trying to open connections to multiple pieces of hardware or hardware streams. Construct can obviously handle more than 6 sound files. It sounds like something else is going on there,

• I can't reproduce it, I can open 10 tabs using audio here and it keeps working just fine. I don't think it's related to C2 at all, or possibly even the browser, it just looks like a hardware limit on your system that you can only have 6 tabs open playing audio at any one time otherwise the hardware can't handle it. I guess it depends on your audio hardware/driver. 6 seems a pretty low limit.

• Check your sound_card and drivers. Make sure it is up to date

• I had a similar issue where I loaded a sound and used it... then later, changed it to another sound. I did not remove the other sound from the project...

When I tried to run it in Safari, it kept telling me there was an error and the page had to be reloaded... Firefox and Chrome did some 'quirky' things but the game still played...

Once I went back to the project and deleted the other sound, the problem went away...

• The thing is, it says 6 but I had like 12 tabs open. And no audio was playing.

The audio object was not even in use.

With zero sound playing it makes me feel like it is a construct 2 issue.

My drivers are up to date.

Using built in audio on my p9x79 pro motherboard.

This shouldn't be an issue for any end user. But the server side of things means there could be limitations on how many instances/rooms/ map regions are hosted.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The thing is, it says 6 but I had like 12 tabs open. And no audio was playing.

The audio object was not even in use.

With zero sound playing it makes me feel like it is a construct 2 issue.

My drivers are up to date.

Using built in audio on my p9x79 pro motherboard.

This shouldn't be an issue for any end user. But the server side of things means there could be limitations on how many instances/rooms/ map regions are hosted.

I think if you ask musician, you could get a good answer.

Anyway, just my 2 cent, I'm possibly wrong here but here goes nothing.

I played around some DAW 2-3 years back, thing that I learn is, depended on your sound card, it possibly can handle a limited number of source. The phrase "audio context" seems familiar to me, I think you have reach maximum supported source, that's why you got that error. In your case, amount of source used is 6process * 12 tabs, means you have total of 72 source. A single process could have more than 1 source (precompiled lossless audio), but that is unlikely because your audio should be in the compiled format, so it counts as 1 source.

As far as I know, modern computer can support either 32, 64 or 128 source. I think your sound card support 64 source as once it crossed the 64 limit, the sound card will just stall. I don't know the max supported source for highest-end card, but professional musician normally use 128, and that is already considered overkill by most people.

• I guess my concern is: I'm not actually loading, playing, or using any sound at all in my server.

If no sound is being loaded, played or otherwise used. Why does it need to take up one of those "sources" as you say. I'm not a sound expert by any means. But I feel like this might be construct reserving or using audio when not necessary.

My plan is to host multiple shards. Have instances of the server running for different regions of my game.

but now it seems this might not be possible to do this or at the very least create some big limitations down the road.

A possible solution is to have a different project for the server. And not have a sound object at all. But this complicates things for end users.

• The "Audio" C2 object uses that AudioContext thing, loading sound or not, if it's added to your project, every instance of it will try and create an AudioContext. I tried to create 6 of them in a simple Chrome snippet, and it crashed with the same exception you provided. Could it be a Chrome issue ?

edit: Just tested with IE, no exception thrown at 20+ instances.

• First.

Even if you aren't using any audio, the fact that the audio plugin is in your project will cause your browser to automatically call up your sound card and have it waiting for when an audio file is played.

Secondly.

You are testing multiple clients on the same PC. This is not how users will be connecting to your game and even if some weirdo was trying to connect to your server from six different browser tabs, they'd have absolutely no effect on the server or other clients you are hosting..

• My plan is to host multiple shards. Have instances of the server running for different regions of my game but now it seems this might not be possible to do this or at the very least create some big limitations down the road.

A possible solution is to have a different project for the server. And not have a sound object at all. But this complicates things for end users.

Hey, I think you're talking about doing shards using C2 MP, the host doesn't have to contain audio at all it's useless. If you still want to develop your project in a single file you still can. Export your game like usual but for your server shards, remove the audio and make your sprites invisible. You should categorize your event into core mechanic, visual effect and audio effect, so that upon exporting for server shard you can just disable your visual effect and audio effect group (or if your events are very modular you can delete them), just leave the core mechanic to run.

• I'm a musician (Cubase user)... among other things. ^_^

It is correct that most sound cards doesn't handle several sources well; especially integrated solutions, but that shouldn't be an issue here, as the browser should be considered 1 source.

What I don't get is; your game is hosted on a server, but I'd think the game is executed client-side, while the server just delivers the play-files? I mean - your sound card on the server (and the graphics card) should be under 0% load each, while your hard drive and probably also the CPU, will be utilized some, to keep everyone in sync etc...

I don't know any game where the server plays the sound, then sends the wave audio to the player's PC... o_O

• I'm a musician (Cubase user)... among other things. ^_^

It is correct that most sound cards doesn't handle several sources well; especially integrated solutions, but that shouldn't be an issue here, as the browser should be considered 1 source.

What I don't get is; your game is hosted on a server, but I'd think the game is executed client-side, while the server just delivers the play-files? I mean - your sound card on the server (and the graphics card) should be under 0% load each, while your hard drive and probably also the CPU, will be utilized some, to keep everyone in sync etc...

I don't know any game where the server plays the sound, then sends the wave audio to the player's PC... o_O

Each client can and do play their own sound.

Originally, the server/client was going to be one and the same. So that friends can host and play together easily. After a few limitations I ran into, as well as design changes, I expanded on the idea to allow a dedicated server to run in a shard-like manner.

All being the same client/server.

It looks like im going to scratch that and simply keep things under my control, hosting multiple servers if needed. The shard method looks like the best way to divide resources and keep server performance at a maximum. At least for the larger servers.

My game is a small-scale mmo In a way because my world is planned to scale nicely for small groups, and large groups of players. So far things are open world with portals between world areas(server shards)

I might come back later to optimize the local server/client to only allow small groups of players. But for now, large scale is my first and primary focus.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)