Your AppStore paid apps experience

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
  • before spending money (setup company + buy Mac Mini + buy iPad 3 + buy AppStore dev account) I would like to know what are experiences of professional C2 devs on iOS:

For example:

• what is your experience with putting apps on AppStore?
    • what is your average daily no. of sold apps?
    • do you use Ejecta or CocoonJS? [and if any troubles]

and so on

• I make between 2-500 dollars per month with 3 99 cent kids apps/games.

All three games probably average 5 sales a day.

2 are done with phonegap, one with cocoon.

No in app purchases at all.

• I think it would be tops if someone would handle the application process for people for a fee. It's really such a hassle, I know appMobi used to offer a similar service for $100. Maybe ArcadEd would be interested?

• Thats very good arcade .

Is it 2-500 dollars or 200-500 dollars ?

Mind sharing the links to your games ? How much time did you spend to develop your games ?

• better no app names :) There was one developer, Kreci, who was doing 2500$+ monthly on Android "Cracked screen" and "X-Ray" apps (1,000,000+ downloads) but then lots of people (blog readers) just copy/paste instead of doing their own apps

• ArcadEd

Have you invested anything in promoting your apps or did you just publish them hoped for the best?

• I invested time in App store seo. Picking out the right keywords, etc.

Other than that I just let them fly. Every once in a while I change them to free to get a batch of downloads and some reviews. Sometimes sites will pick them up for "Free app Fridays" or something.

tumira that's 200-500 a month.

Here is a link to one that is usually .99 but I am running for free until Saturday. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-search-for-kids-2-perfect/id693620862?ls=1&mt=8 You can see the other games if you scroll down and see "other games by this developer" Everything was done in C2.

The latest game (word search for kids 2) I spent 200 dollars on hiring an artist for the graphics, then rest was a bit of time reworking the original word search for kids.

What are you asking for the application process?

• ArcadEd - I'm not exactly sure what the process is, but if you could state what accounts one needs to create, then they just give you the package from cocoon or whatever they use along with appStore descriptions, then you use their account with a temporary password to submit the game. Then notify them when/if it's approved and they can change their password back to something else and everyone's happy.

You could work out some additional details maybe, like if $10 per test on a device, fee for successful application, reduced fee for failed etc. Since I haven't been through it before I don't know the specifics, but I haven't been through it because it's such a massive pain compared to Android.

• Problem is, Apple makes doing that a complete nightmare. I wouldn't even begin to know how to get others credentials and provisioning profiles onto my mac to publish for them. It was such a pain in the butt when I did it for just myself, and now that I have it all setup and configured, I would be scared to mess with it :).

I do understand the frustration though, but if you plan on creating games of iOS, then I think it's better to work though it and get yourself all setup. Took me a few days with lots of google searches, but in the end it was worth it. I went the cheapest route I could.

1. Mac Mini $599(Applied for an apple Barclaycard Credit Card when I purchase it and got 0 percent for a year). Paid it off in 6 months.

2. Ipod Touch 8gb from Ebay $100

3. Dev Account from Apple $99 per year.

4. Account on Appcod.es for keyword SEO. $14.95 a month.

It's a bit of investment, but it all paid for itself rather quickly.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • ArcadEd - Okay, thanks for the info, but it's all a bit much mucking around for me ^^ Plus I'm not very computer literate, all my games work has been QA and design and I have never even touched a mac. So I fear I would outlay that $800-odd and get stuck on some technical aspect I'm not able to deal with. Even the Android process took me a while to get used to.

Thanks again anyway, and if anyone else happens by this who could help, I think you would get a decent number of takers over time.

• Our App is an educational game, Steve Storm and the Tables of Doom, it is a $1.99 app with no in game purchases. It has no been out 2 months and we have sold around 600 a month. Sales have now slowed down to about 10 a day. This was a relatively expensive project and we will in no way directly recoop costs. In our situation the app was also a branding exercise and we can hopefully gain indirect customers.

I would not spend such a large amount of money again. In my opinion app sales and the inability for non-free apps to earn back costs is a major problem. If we make another app it would have be significantly cheaper to make and much more thought needs to go in to monetizing within the app. I have some clear ideas about what I would like to do in that regard. Even a cheap to produce application is expensive if you create it in a business environment, I am not talking about hobby developers. If you cost the time and effort a simple app quickly costs many thousands of dollars. You need to sell a lot at $0.99 to earn that back.

Because of the significant development costs and the extremely low return developers are not likely to create the kind of apps I would like to see.

• I invested time in App store seo. Picking out the right keywords, etc.

Other than that I just let them fly. Every once in a while I change them to free to get a batch of downloads and some reviews. Sometimes sites will pick them up for "Free app Fridays" or something.

tumira that's 200-500 a month.

Here is a link to one that is usually .99 but I am running for free until Saturday. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-search-for-kids-2-perfect/id693620862?ls=1&mt=8 You can see the other games if you scroll down and see "other games by this developer" Everything was done in C2.

The latest game (word search for kids 2) I spent 200 dollars on hiring an artist for the graphics, then rest was a bit of time reworking the original word search for kids.

What are you asking for the application process?

Hey ArcadEd, you can PM me the artist who did the graphics for you? It's really looking good. And your game it's pretty cool. It's sad that is not open-source. Hahahaha.

• I'm actually considering doing a Udemy course since so many people have asked for the Word Search game. Obviously I don't want the market flooded with games just like mine :)

The artist is Mark Quire, I actually found him in the Wanted/For hire forums. He did a lot of the artwork in my upcoming zombie game too. He's awesome, but he was actually just contracted to do a game from scratch on his own, so is time is pretty spent for a while.

I have a few others I have used too. I found them on Odesk, which is a great place to find artists as well.

• ArcadEd

How about other platforms ?( Windows 8 and Google Play)

Which are your suggestion on best revenue compare to App Store ?

I`m actually thinking about buying Mac Mini but still holding out. (already have Ipad)

Do we really need Appcod.es ? Does it really improve your apps discovery ?

Sorry that I asked alot..

• Appcod.es or something like it is pretty essential for doing keyword research and optimizing your game. Over half of games are found via search on the app stores.

Droid and Windows 8 I don't bother with selling games. I just put ads on them. Admob for droid, MS ads for windows.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)