Windows Phone Build Question CPU utilization.

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Create your own beautiful snowman in this fun game!
  • When i try the game in the regular Windows phone browser i get different CPU/FPS than from a Visual Studio Build.

Built in Phone browser. webgl

CPU: When game is idle: approx 30% (not moving around)

CPU: When moving around: 60%

FPS: When game is idle: approx 60 FPS

FPS: When moving around 58% FPS

in Visual studio Build: 8.1 universal. webgl

CPU: When game is idle: approx 25-40% (not moving around)

CPU: When moving around 55%

FPS: When game is idle: approx 60 FPS

FPS: When moving around: 35 FPS

How come the build has much lower fps? I cant' determine if it's the draw calls or or other things that seems to be less efficient on the VS build.

Any idea why this is happening?

• You are building the game as a C# project or WinJS project?

Aside of that put a browser (a web view) into a XAML app is less efficently than a dedicated browser

• You are building the game as a C# project or WinJS project?

Aside of that put a browser (a web view) into a XAML app is less efficently than a dedicated browser

Actually don't know. I Just took the C2 exported result and opened in Visual Studio, then deployed it to the phone. Would it make any difference? and where can i find this option of building as C# project or WinJS project?

• If it's a simple test app, if nothing is moving at all, then C2 does not bother redrawing the screen. So your "idle" vs "moving" measurements are actually testing the difference between "doing nothing at all" and "redrawing the screen every frame".

• Ashley I know that, but as i just found out from this tutorial --> https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/593/windows-phone-games-with-construct-2/page-3 It seems there are some issues with the Images, some kind of security check is running on every image every tick. I'm gonna try out the tool linked in this tutorial to see if it helps.

• Here

• Here

Yes that's the one I was using. Otherwise i wouldn't get webgl support. But found what might be the issue in a link i posted previously. Will try it out later.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • How are you testing it? You might be testing using a Debug build instead of a release build. The debug build runs a bunch of extra stuff at the same time to give you info but it also takes away from performance.

• I'd point out Henry's article about Windows Phone was written for Windows Phone 8.0. Windows Phone 8.1 radically changed everything and made most of the points in that article out of date. Windows 10 radically changes it again. I'd basically assume everything in that article is out of date now.

In particular I remember the performance issue with images and the suggestion to base64 encode only applied to the canvas2d renderer, which is all WP8.0 supports. WP8.1+ has WebGL support which certainly makes that part of the articule redundant.

• Ashley There must be something causing the app to perform way worse than in a regular phone browser... In my opinion it should be the other way around.

For now my game has around 10-15 sprites on the screen at any given time. No backgrounds, no parallax, nothing. There's no noticeable difference when switching from point sampling & to linear sampling or other render settings. I can't seem to identify what's causing the game to perform so much worse as an app intead of in the stock phone browser. I havn't tried to build for android or iOS yet as i have no phones to deploy to and no dev accounts for those yet.

Anyway game performs really well on most stock phone browsers even or phones that are not that high end. I've asked lot of friends to try it out on different devices.

I don't know if it's just a Windows Phone issue, but I'll see when i get my hands on some more devices to try on.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)