window size and optimization

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • ya I went through those long time ago thanks :)I just wanted to understand how the system works out of curiosity

• All I know is when testing my application on a Mac the game runs at 30fps when full screen, but at 60fps when I have a smaller window!

I don't understand this! Surely there must be a way to get it to run at 60fps at full screen!

• HenerzH - don't post the same question in multiple threads. Also, please have more patience, getting a response often isn't immediate. Wait at least a few hours.

• Wow thanks for the help, I'm desperately trying to find an answer.

• I didn't know if some threads weren't being used anymore. This is so frustrating because in the manual it clearly says Window Size makes no difference to performance, but it evidently does. If I had used a small window size from the beginning the game would have run fine on the MAC.

I don't know why it works like this, it shouldn't increase the resolution to have it full screen. If you have a small window full screen, the resolution still looks just as good but it runs the game much better, even though the actual game objects are the same resolution in both situations!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ashley

I also don't understand how C2's scaling works and how GPU intensive is ...

So I work with Window size of 1280x720 and with high-resolution sprites (if I need a sprite of 50x50, I will use one of 100x100).

How will it scale at 1920x1080 regarding visual quality and GPU with and without HighQuality ? (compared to 1280x720)

Also how will the performance be at 640x360 ? It is the same as 1280x720 or will use less resources ?

• The 'Window size' project property is poorly named. It should be called the 'Viewport size'. (I don't think we will change it because other expressions and a lot of documentation refer to the same name.) It just sets how much of the layout you can see.

When the game is actually displayed at runtime, the size it ends up on your screen is the display size. For example you could have a 'window size' of 854x480 and use letterbox scale mode to display it at 1920x1080. In that case the viewport to the layout is 854x480 and the display size is 1920x1080.

In 'High quality' fullscreen mode, in practice only the display size affects performance. Note if you run a game in a browser window, you can resize the browser smaller and notice it's running faster. This is because the display size is smaller, so there's less GPU work. The project viewport is still the same (i.e., the project 'Window size' property has not changed, even though you resized the browser window. I do regret choosing that name for the project property!)

In 'Low quality' fullscreen mode, the game is rendered at the 'Window size' in project properties, and the result simply stretched up to fit the screen. Usually the stretch is fast and the performance impact can be ignored, so the display size is effectively the same as the viewport size. Since the viewport size is usually smaller than the display size, this improves performance.

In no case has the memory use changed. The viewport and display size do not affect the textures that are loaded to memory, which are always fully decompressed images at their original size they appear in the image editor.

• Use "low quality" mode if you won't no difference between window/fullscreen.

• Thanks for all this information I was wondering too. I'm still trying to be sure of some details :

If low resolution isn't a problem, I read you can improve memory using very small textures for sprites, let's say 8x8.

And lets say we use a small window size (fullscale quality low) and they appear big on screen, with low resolution.

Small textured sprites 8x8 reduce loading at start, for sure, but will it also improve the CPU / FPS, or is it just a matter of number of elements ?

Also, according on how are working plugin like custom movement, will it be exactly the same if I use a 320x200 window size + 320x200 layout, with 8x8 sprites (and globaly reduced pixel values)

or a 1600x900 window size / layout with the same 8x8 textures but sprites resized to appear big ?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)