Will getting an SSD improve load times in preview?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
An educational game for Times Table. An easy to use template for developers to build larger games
  • Ashley

As I haven't done a cleanup on a good amount of assets I'll scrap soon, the approx download size is 263 mb (but the size will still grow), and the memory use 945 mb.

(Must stress that this game is designed for offline desktop computer play)

A blank firefox with only the game running takes between 1-1,3gb of memory (sometimes 2,6gb if I start a preview while another one's in progress). Not sure if this is a result of me simply going overkill on a single level, or that I have done something wrong when assigning assets.

In Firefox the game takes roughly 30 seconds to boot up if there are no issues.

• Mmmmh, that's kind of a huge project, °_°. All I can say is, with my (really small in comparison) project, preview is instant on my computers, which are all ssd powered.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 945mb on a single level? That's really quite a lot, and is getting into the realm where some systems won't even be able to play your game. Read this: https://www.scirra.com/blog/112/remembe ... our-memory

• Yes I am very aware that I should look into optimizing the scenes soon. My aim is getting the game to run at 400-600mb of ram. I just need to cut down on the amount of animated environment assets, and find other more resource-friendly ways of making it look good.

• Yes I am very aware that I should look into optimizing the scenes soon. My aim is getting the game to run at 400-600mb of ram. I just need to cut down on the amount of animated environment assets, and find other more resource-friendly ways of making it look good.

Try to set the export format to png-8, this will make your project size about 50% less, with minimal loss of quality.

• Sisyphus: This trick only applies to the download's size. Once executed, the assets are stored uncompressed in memory.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)