Why dream of C3? Let's stay focused on C2 for now.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A game template with a great amount of assets! You will be able to create a full game just with the assets provided!
  • A few suggestions if I may:

• Easier way to implement save/load functions and allow multiple save files. I mean, yes we have webstorage and states, but for save files there should be a way we can easily enable it to show completion percentage, levels cleared, etc... perhaps it's probably way more complex that I'm thinking of since I'm obviously not a vet programmer .
    • Advanced lighting features. They've added a light not too long ago, perhaps they can go further. If I recall Clickteam Fusion seems to have more functions with lighting and shadows.
    • Like the poster above, a native tile set object/feature like RPG maker, While I do like the more flexible object placement C2 offers, tiles just feel more organized and great for pixel themed games.
    • Let Platformer/ 8 direction/ etc behaviors interact with physics. Unless I'm out of the loop and missed an update, I had to make a work around for one of my earlier games to push a block.
    • Wipes for transitioning layouts. For example: Fade out, Fade In, White Out, White in, and for those who want to make a zelda type of game is there a way your object can transition to a different layout as if he was walking from one end to another? It's a bit tough to explain, but if you played the first Zelda game I'm talking about how Link moves from screen to screen. RPG maker you have the option to add from and to points on the layout since they used a grid style of editing.

Other than that, good luck!

• jayderyu - so you're hoping that C3 will be a big overhaul for the inner workings of C2, eh? As it stands, I'm mostly on the surface but I can see how advanced users might want more. Heck, I might want more if I knew what to want! Anyway, thanks for the in-depth explanation.

• I guess when the time comes, maybe Ashley can let people who bought a C2 license just pay an upgrade fee instead of having to fork out the full fee... maybe?

• let people who bought a C2 license just pay an upgrade fee instead of having to fork out the full fee

Ashley already promised that. And full compatibility with c2 projects.

• I hope so, however I love C2 in general, but I have a bit concerns with C3 to be honest. Reason being that I feel that even though C2 is easy to use and a lot of things keeps getting updated and new features added. There are still a lot of issues hanging around, that doesn't seem to get improved or fix, or reaching the point where they should or could be.

Meaning on the surface there seems to be hardly any limit to what you can do, but the moment you scratch the surface, a lot of the main elements that are needed to make certain types of games are simply not possible. Which starts to get annoying, that its such things that decide what you can do and not do, rather than a lack of imagination.

And personally for me, whenever there is an update, I hope some of these issues are being addressed, but instead its normally just new features, which ofc can be useful. But makes little difference if the main problem is found in a broken/bugged part of C2, that prevent you from doing something regardless of any new features.

So seeing that C3 might be on the way, will most likely mean that C2 will be left in a "broken" state. Which at least to me doesn't encourage me to buy C3, even though it might not be true, I think it gives the impression that they are not all that concerned about quality and good functionality, compared to amount of features, that can be added to a list of things you can do, just as long as you don't really need them.

Personally I see little point in the importance of supporting every single operating system in world, if core of the program, doesn't allow you to really do what I guess most users enjoy when using C2, which is to make and design the games you like, the way or as close to the way you would like them to be.

So I will watch C3 come a long with great concerns for C2

• GG-Works - On the Zelda scroll topic. I have accomplished that before. Basically, the levels in Zelda when it uses scroll, are just one big level on a single layout, with a fixed size on what it's shown at anyone time at once. You create the "warp zones" on the edge of the screen and make it scroll according to the size of yer screen and on the disired direction. If I find the example I made, I will send it to you, if you'd like.

Also, an improved RPG Maker style tileset editor would be a total killer.

• Personally I see little point in the importance of supporting every single operating system in world...

Lol, always gives me a giggle when people want to use 'a better os', but then want to use software designed for the best os on the planet!

But I guess if Scirra can make it happen then thats cool. I just hope linux driver/distro nightmare doesn't waste all Ashleys time with bug reports.

• As just an update about tool evolution

Unity 5 is coming out "soon" http://unity3d.com/5

Unreal is up to 4 https://www.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine-4

Industry tools evolve and when ever there is a major overhaul of the internals. Then it's usually a version iteration. C2 has some heavy limits for what is a complete development environment. So C3 hopefully will address so limits. If it does, then it would seem Ashley won't go to C4.

C2 was a great prototype for HTML5 gaming development. And people made fantastic games. Time to release the tiger.

• Well, I guess we shouldn´t forget, that Ashley and Tom are business men by all means. They need to make a living from it and so there are some decisions, that are honestly absolutely right from a sale point of view.

Every now and then you need to bring something entirely new or you´ll get fuc**** by the market. Imagine Apple would improve their iPhones all the time, instead of bringing out a new version every now and then. Nobody would buy an iphone 3SSS.

Throwing out a new software will definitely give them a flood of sales by us, the current userbase, as well as a hype for new ones, cause of the exitement a new engine release will cause.

Never forget that it´s not always about the current users and a community near working....sometimes it´s about marketing and money.

PS: This shouldn´t sound like Ash and Tom being cruel business vamps^^ It´s just that there is so much more in leading a company than just the product!

• I think some people hope C3 will be the engine that helps them make games. If C2 didn't do that already, it's not a problem related to the engine, but to something else : themselves.

I am not particularly exited about C3 to be quite honest. The features that were announced sound cool and everything, but for the time being, C2 does the job for me and, while the improvements will be appreciated, I think people are getting a bit over their heads about the whole thing.

Be patient and make games with C2 for now. Didn't it do the job before C3 was announced?

• This is so true, alvarop! The problem with one game engine like C2 is, that it makes game making looking too simple. But even with a system like this, there is a need to plan and develop a project carefully and to study about the underlying technologies for having a better understanding of the possibilities and limits of the engine.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Every now and then you need to bring something entirely new or you´ll get fuc**** by the market. Imagine Apple would improve their iPhones all the time, instead of bringing out a new version every now and then. Nobody would buy an iphone 3SSS.

Throwing out a new software will definitely give them a flood of sales by us, the current userbase, as well as a hype for new ones, cause of the exitement a new engine release will cause.

Never forget that it´s not always about the current users and a community near working....sometimes it´s about marketing and money.

PS: This shouldn´t sound like Ash and Tom being cruel business vamps^^ It´s just that there is so much more in leading a company than just the product!

If Apple released a Phone that would crash every 3 call, so you would have to restart it, and didn't care to fix it, and just released new Phones instead, Apple wouldn't survive long. So ofc Apple should keep releasing new ones, but if they want to maintain the customers loyalty and a good brand, they need to fix any problems that there phones might have, before just releasing new ones.

Personally I don't care about what reasons they have for making a new version, that's up to them. But to me the main reason why C2 is so popular is because of the ease of use. That part of C2 is in my opinion almost spot on, compared to other products out there. So what is needed to really put C2 apart from the rest, is that its does what its suppose to better than any other product out there. Here im not talking about, image editor and stuff like that, but the core of what makes it possible for people to make any type of 2D game. And in that sense C2 is not really doing what I think it should, some of the other products have some really nice features as well, that are not in C2, and C2 have some that are not in those. So the main issue i think, is the quality and functionality of those features, rather than the total amount.

But to me Scirra would be better of, if they plan to release a new version, to stop adding new features and instead fix those that have already been added and is not working correctly. That way the current users wont feel like they are left with a broken C2, and are aware that Scirra is not going to add new features to it, but instead want to focus on a new version. That way they are a lot more secure that they maintain the loyalty of there current user base. And its a lot cheaper to maintain that, than having to get new customers to replace them.

• nimos100

Of course regular bugfixes are important, I never said something different. Every company should do it and most do it already of course. Scirra as well....for about 4 years now, since C2 was first released in 2011... half a decade ago. There is just a time, where you have to throw out something new and fresh, even your old system works.

• I'm not anti-C3. I hope it will have many improvements over C2. My point is that right now, I'm making my first game with C2 and I hope to finish it in the near future with C2. I'm not spending much time thinking about C3 yet. I'll leave that to the ones of you who actually know what hell is going on.

• C3 will be backwards compatible with C2. I dont understand why people are against the idea of other platforms being supported by the editor

That equals more sales = more developers.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)