Why doesn't C2 crop images before creating sprite sheets?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
500 monsters and creatures images for card games - Set 1
  • I try not to crop my animations in the animation menu because I'm constantly reimporting them, and reimporting over a previously cropped animatiom causes the image points and such to jump into wrong positions. This is a hassle that's made me to just stop cropping my animations whatsover because the transparency doesn't hurt the gameplay anyway. My sprites are rendered from 3DS Max so there's lots of transparency around the characters to make room for animations and such, and I can't crop them automatically when rendering.

So why won't C2 crop them when exporting? Is there some logical reason for this?

• Cropping image breaks the origin and other points in the sprite, which is quite important for most gamedevs.

I also recommend you to use Spriter for animations for a better and faster workflow in dealing with sprites and animations.

• I second this request as I have the same workflow - lots of animation frames with big transparent areas. It would be great if there was a checkbox on the sprite properties "Trim transparent areas on export".

As a workaround I just keep my images at the original size, then on final export I'll go in and crop every sprite manually.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Cropping image breaks the origin and other points in the sprite, which is quite important for most gamedevs.

I also recommend you to use Spriter for animations for a better and faster workflow in dealing with sprites and animations.

No it's not.

Like UberLou said. I keep all sprites animation frames raw and only crop them when I'm sure I won't modify them again.

So why won't C2 crop them when exporting? Is there some logical reason for this?

Because collision polygons are depending on and limited by frame size (which is stupid by design). You can't make collision polygon bigger than frame.

• Alright, all of that makes sense. Except the origin point changing. At least in C2 the origin point doesn't change if you set it up before cropping. It sure messes up if you reimport.

Also will be looking into Spriter again. Tried it for piece-by-piece characters but I prefer frame-by-frame animation because it doesn't look as robotic even if the transitions can be janky.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)