Why cant peers join hosts in multiplayer, besides in local

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Ludo Local Multiplayer board game can be played by 2 to 4 players
  • I tested everything, every multiplayer example, and i never, never can get it working to a peer connect to a host in a different network.

I changed the room, instance name, etc, nothing works..

I tested with hamachi and it worked..

I want it to work without hamachi.

I need this to get my game working..

• Did you find any solution to this ?

I am having same problem.

I have made a multiplayer card game. The peer never joins if the whole game is loaded from a different network.

What is hamachi ?

• Have you tried making the host forward their ports? Usually if it works via Hamachi, port forwarding will help with not using Hamachi.

It's probably better to Google this but I'll run down the basic gist of what you need to do.

• Find out the ports your game uses (I haven't touched the Multiplayer plugin in a while so I don't remember if it lets you choose the port but yeah)
    • Go on the host's computer
    • Login to your router (open up a web browser and type in something like "192.168.0.1" into the address bar to get to your router)
    • Enter your Username and Password (This is probably located on a label on the actual physical router).
    • Hunt around the web interface for a section called "Port forwarding". (It may be under "Advanced Settings" or something, it varies on every router.)
    • This is where I'm more hazy in remembering what to do, but it might be as simple as typing in the Port numbers and clicking "Add" or something, maybe having a tickbox of "TCP/UDP".

That should be all. Google is definitely your friend, my explanation is just from memory from years ago when dabbling with networking.

Hope this helps

• Multiplayer does not use any specific port (see Multiplayer tutorial 1: concepts) so port forwarding will not help. You need to make sure your network configuration does not block large port ranges (so peer-to-peer traffic can work), and that all machines are connected to the Internet if you're using the Scirra signalling server. Beyond that it's entirely specific to your network configuration - you need to check the setup yourself (or whoever is the network admin) to ensure it's not blocking WebRTC connections.

• so it's useless..

i cant make a multiplayer game because almost everyone, at least in this country have that blocked..

it only works in pulbic lans like university network

• what's the solution for this problem?

• Just a small contribution -

I don't think there's a solution, because there's no actual problem. That's just the way Internet works at the moment, and it's a big mess.

The "actual" solution will be finishing the transition to IPv6 which will remove the need for NAT and NAT traversal. But that's not going to happen any time soon.

For now, both developers and end-users need some level of understanding of networking technologies, to work around the limitations and be pragmatic to find suitable and acceptable options.

Some platforms or big developers make it seem easier by solving some of the problems via their infrastructure, but in the end making a small online multiplayer game remains difficult

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • According to measurements we've seen on the signalling server as well as from other sources, the number of users with connection issues is around 10%. So it's a minority, not everyone. Also the problems only tend to occur crossing those network boundaries: games inside the network (e.g. all players within the office/uni network) should still work.

• Try uploading an html version to dropbox in your public folder(hopefully you have one if not something like google drive will do). there are plenty of sources to google on how or where to do it. Then try to connect to the linked game via multiple computers from different networks.

It works with the built in multiplayer shooter demo.

If your game has a always on lobby with no playable host, then you would have to get a host server. Might be able to find a free server host for testing purposes and upload there. Just make sure game hosting is allowed by the free host. Alot of them won't. 000webhost will ban you quick. even for testing.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)