Why C2 needs third party exporters?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Helping streamers give their viewers more excitement.
  • (before reading this, i use contruct 2 a lot for years and i like the software, its an amazing html engine)

I already paid for C2, why i have to pay more for export? services as phonegap and ludei charge amounts of money to us for just compiling a cordova file, why do we that alrady paid for an engine have to keep paying to other people? isnt better if c2 itself is the one that export your game to an .APK or .IPA ?

• Wait, how much are you being charged by Phonegap?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Wait, how much are you being charged by Phonegap?

its not exactly about how much, with my experience of years working with C2 i know that different projects works better with different exporters and neither phonegap or ludei are the best to export, so for example if i pay phonegap and for a project it doesnt work as well as in ludei and i will have to pay ludei, the problem is having so many option to export and none are "standard good", i think c2 should have his own exporter even if its in alpha/beta.

• What you want has already been discussed throughout the ages of Construct 2. It's a called "Native Exporters". The talks about this Holy Grail, the Messiah, the one thing to bring balance to the force, and make Construct 2 the game engine of all game engines. The thing people believe to be the end all of performance problems and plugin problems via Construct 2.

Anyways.

Would it better? Yes of course Native Exportation would be better. Much better than the system that C2 has going for it right now, hell I'm pretty Ashley would agree that if he could snap his finger right now and Native Exporters existed with C2, he'd do it. This way, there wouldn't be anymore "WHY IS IT SO DAMN TEDIOUS TO EXPORT TO MOBILE?!?!?!!??!"

But it isn't that easy to create Native Exporters, and I'm barely even a technical person, but it's been around 1 year since I started to look into videogames and become familiar with programming stuff and the conclusion is that nothing is easy when it comes to programming something.

Creating Native Exporters is quite a big project, if Scirra had a team dedicated JUST to create and support Native Exporters, that'd be great.

• Also, Ludei's Cocoon.IO service allows for 2 free projects.

• There are free options: the Intel XDK costs nothing. The Cordova CLI is free too, but is a more complicated setup.

Yes of course Native Exportation would be better.

Not necessarily: if development is 5x slower than it is now as we have to maintain 5 platforms separately, and due to the quirks of each platform each individual feature is only supported over a random selection of platforms making porting constantly a huge headache, and some features are entirely missing or incompatible with their browser equivalents, and some platforms face awkward bugs that others don't, then the end result is not necessarily even better than what we have now. None of this is hypothetical, other products on the market with this approach face these problems. If you add up all those other problems, is it really better? Then throw in the colossal engineering effort it takes to even get started on this...

It also won't necessarily remove the difficulty of configuring certificates, setting up provisioning profiles etc. All of that you still have to go through for native apps too, and that can be a big part of the pain of setting up mobile publishing.

• There are free options: the Intel XDK costs nothing. The Cordova CLI is free too, but is a more complicated setup.

> Yes of course Native Exportation would be better.

>

Not necessarily: if development is 5x slower than it is now as we have to maintain 5 platforms separately, and due to the quirks of each platform each individual feature is only supported over a random selection of platforms making porting constantly a huge headache, and some features are entirely missing or incompatible with their browser equivalents, and some platforms face awkward bugs that others don't, then the end result is not necessarily even better than what we have now. None of this is hypothetical, other products on the market with this approach face these problems. If you add up all those other problems, is it really better? Then throw in the colossal engineering effort it takes to even get started on this...

It also won't necessarily remove the difficulty of configuring certificates, setting up provisioning profiles etc. All of that you still have to go through for native apps too, and that can be a big part of the pain of setting up mobile publishing.

I seriously wonder when the last time you used Intel XDK and third party plugins like cranberry's and witnessed the headaches?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)