which option is right for performance

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • which will be faster

1) Every tick or every 0.30 second

if every tick is faster, if i use it more than 10 time does it effect performance

2) Layout size is 640x960

I want to make a sprite to cover whole layout with black colour or any colour

then my options are

a) make sprite 640x960 b) make sprite 50x50 pixle and scale it to layout c) make tile background and cover layout

3) image quality or sharpness suppose i have character size 100x100 pixle then my options are

a) I should create 100x100 pixle b) I should create 200x200 pixle and then scale it down 50%
  • which will be faster

1) Every tick or every 0.30 second

if every tick is faster, if i use it more than 10 time does it effect performance

2) Layout size is 640x960

I want to make a sprite to cover whole layout with black colour or any colour

then my options are

a) make sprite 640x960 b) make sprite 50x50 pixle and scale it to layout c) make tile background and cover layout

3) image quality or sharpness suppose i have character size 100x100 pixle then my options are

a) I should create 100x100 pixle b) I should create 200x200 pixle and then scale it down 50%

Every 0.3 seconds will obviously have a lesser impact on performances but keep it for the things that don't need to be recalculated every tick

If it is a single color I'd go for option D, changing the layer background property

For 3 a larger image will use more memory but will look better on bigger screens so it's a trade off

Just my opinions

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ashley please look here and give some advise

I have noticed today one thing that effecting performance

1) In my game i have 19 global variables i check performance on debug mode its saying 20 fps

when i remove all global variables then it become 40 fps

2) I have 3 layers in my game If i delete 2 layers then it become from 20 fps to 50 fps ( I do not delete Gbl variables here)

3) when i delete all global variables + 2 Layers then my speed is 60 fps

It means layers & global variables effecting frames

===================

I have also tried

take a new project entirely blank project

just added 2 extra layers

speed become 40-45 fps

i just created a global variable and copy paste it 15 times

i have notice here every single variable effect frames

create global variable 1 by 1

it decreasing speed

• If you follow these then you game should run fine.

• If you follow these then you game should run fine.

but what about a blank project shoing low frame rates >>>

I had take a new project entirely blank project

Result : ==>>> 40-45 fps

it decreasing speed

• the debugger on the inspect tab uses quite a lot of performances by itself, and increase the load of other things like groups, you should try a spritefont set to fps every seconds instead and see if the fps is still very low.

• > If you follow these then you game should run fine.

>

> mobile-optimization-tutorial-version2_t181811

>

but what about a blank project shoing low frame rates >>>

I had take a new project entirely blank project

Result : ==>>> 40-45 fps

it decreasing speed

Ok I really never used the debugger for feedback , just actual testing of how the game runs when I play it. The reason is the debugger can say the game is running 10fps but when you play the game its running silky smooth leading up to the point that its the debugger using up precious resources or miscalculating .

If each global variable decreased game speed , my games would run terrible. Did you do a device test yet or just the debugger? I have a hard time figuring out how your game is moving slowly with hardly anything in it.

Look at this video

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Try your game on the device and test actual performance rather than relying on debugger too heavily.

• true, the debugger is a very useful tool but nothing beats actual testing on device, when the testing goes wrong though, use the debugger to see if there is nothing too heavy on the cpu or that could be optimised.

I don't recommand using the debugger on a mobile though, the fps can get a big hit for no reasons.

• Suggest you use an in-game text to show the FPS and cpu usage.

Such as:

Every 0.5 seconds -> Text [Set Text] FPS & " " & cpuutilisation

It'll update the info 2 times per second.

CPU Utilisation is an approximate though it is very accurate in my experience. It's a ration from 0.0 to 0.99, representing 0 to 99% load on the main logic thread.

• Answer your own performance questions with measurements

In most of the cases your described, it will likely have no measurable impact on performance and therefore be a waste of time. Other concerns like image quality and memory use will be more important.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)