- What you want in C2 for 2015 -

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • Everade Thx for taking some of my point on board. I agree with rest of your aditional points, but I think you agree with me too that online must wait till we have a stable and streamlined local environment.

I totally agree.

But a good idea however might be to increase the SCIRRA team with additional developers who will be working on additional projects/features such as a dedicated server for example, while Ashley would be able to work on the c2 environment itself.

• PixelRebirth

Obviously older platforms aren't perfectly supported, just as you wouldn't expect a new game to run on win 98, but the great thing is everything works on modern platforms, at least in my experience. Things can run without obscure updates cause everyone has an up to date browser. There was nothing more annoying in classic than people not being able to play your game because their Direct-x wasn't an obscure fall update.

• PixelRebirth

Obviously older platforms aren't perfectly supported, just as you wouldn't expect a new game to run on win 98, but the great thing is everything works on modern platforms, at least in my experience. Things can run without obscure updates cause everyone has an up to date browser. There was nothing more annoying in classic than people not being able to play your game because their Direct-x wasn't an obscure fall update.

I can't run Airscape steam demo! It's not detecting webgl apparently! On my specs!!

Everade Yeah, we've been saying this for a long time now, that Ash should hire someone. At the end of the day, it is his business, and we do respect that. None of us wants our thoughts to come across as nagging. He should hire someone.

• I'll have to agree with the "Against C3" people - as already mentioned there's a mountain of excellent tools, probably spearheaded by Unity and Unreal engine for "serious" development. C2 provides excellent tools for fast prototyping and making products that fit its target platform - HTML5.

All the people asking for 3D and built-in isometric engines and what not so very often honestly feels a little ridiculous - if you need that just switch to a different engine. C2 has been very open about what's possible and what's the expected output.

As for performance - mobile devices have basically already reached the pinnacle of resolution - there's no point to go beyond 300 dpi, the human eye simply won't see the difference. So you won't have to go beyond Full HD in the next year or next 20 years - the human eyes won't magically improve (well, probably). Devices currently coming out easily work with that resolution at a decent pace and they won't slow down - which means that as the time goes on your limits will stay the same, but device power and support will only improve enabling A LOT more to be achieved. Not to mention desktop PCs which are already beasts and will, obviously, also continue to improve.

I for one hope that C2 continues improving, gaining new useful functions and as time goes by HTML5 export to mobile platforms improves as well to eventually reach that desired "One click" stage.

What I want in C2 for 2015 is simple - random values in object parameters - so, for example, you put random(360) in angle inside the editor and every time the object is spawned it has a random angle - would make event lists so much cleaner.

• I get incredible performance on CocoonJS with Canvas+ and the right settings. You just need to learn more about the platform and how your game is designed

• Somebody Thing is, C2 is developed and advertised as a full featured and professional game engine for creating advanced games that run on nearly every platform.. If it was meant just for prototyping and small tacky html5 games then no one would be complaining...or buying it afaic. Doesn't really live up to those claims either way -w-

• Someone mentioned a spreadsheet-like Array editor and HOLY PLEASE YES.

Also I would be sorely disappointed if a Construct 3 were to be announced any time soon. Like there was no point in my buying the C2 license if it was just going to be abandoned for the next iteration so soon.

Really, if you want 3D go work in Unity. And isometric isn't really that hard to do in events. I don't feel like it needs its own editor.

What I'd /LOVE/ is some better sharing tools, such as code and asset packaging.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • PixelRebirth

Hehe, didn't mean to suggest anything should be running well on very outdated platforms. That's also why I immediately got a recent tablet model when I wanted to give mobile development a serious shot.

I also do very well remember the quarrel about DirectX with Construct Classic. I don't think the situation is that much better now with Construct 2. When we are just talking web-based played on a PC: if the user has only Firefox or even IE , chances aren't so bad your game will run jerky. And I do think casual players will be reluctant to install a certain browser just to play your game. And even with Chrome, what if the current update botched the performance...

On the other hand if we are talking core games: basically every other game on Steam does install DirectX stuff when you fire it up the first time. I don't think gamers do perceive this as a hinderance. (Node Webkit exported projects in C2 also include dxwebsetup.exe, because it might be needed.)

Sure I do get the gist of what you are saying and generally it is right that everything works on modern platforms. It is still a slippery slope to keep things running at reasonable framerates and juggle the different third party exporting options.

• Somebody Thing is, C2 is developed and advertised as a full featured and professional game engine for creating advanced games that run on nearly every platform.. If it was meant just for prototyping and small tacky html5 games then no one would be complaining...or buying it afaic. Doesn't really live up to those claims either way -w-

Well, if I watch that promotional video on the main page and read the brief I get a certain picture...

Certainly that "Build Once. Publish Everywhere." line might be perceived as somewhat "optimistic" at best, but other than that - you CAN make advanced games as they say, and it is quite powerful.

In the end it has a very reasonable free version to see if it fits.

• On the other hand if we are talking core games: basically every other game on Steam does install DirectX stuff when you fire it up the first time. I don't think gamers do perceive this as a hinderance. (Node Webkit exported projects in C2 also include dxwebsetup.exe, because it might be needed.)

I installed Airscape demo trough steam, together with dx and it didn't work.

• MadameBerry

And isometric isn't really that hard to do in events. Not really hard?

How can i syncronize turret behaviour with isometric frames? Something with speedometer? I have problems with mouse and pathfinding too. How do i lightning and shadoweffects (overlapping)? Explosioneffects...

How do i control walking movement without walk1, walk 2...

If it is easy for you, please solve these problems for me and upload a capx. THX.

• All the people asking for 3D and built-in isometric engines and what not so very often honestly feels a little ridiculous - if you need that just switch to a different engine. C2 has been very open about what's possible and what's the expected output.

I'm not asking for a full isometric engine.

And i think the most people are using Construct 2 because it does not require any coding.

I've tested Unity and the Unreal Engine for quite some time but was never able to achieve anything nearly usable because i can't code. Also the blueprint stuff within the new unreal engine isn't that easy to use as it may look.

Construct 2 is intuitive as it is, and all i'm asking for are some tools to make it EASIER for us to create an isometric world.

And isometric isn't really that hard to do in events. I don't feel like it needs its own editor.

Is it easy to create an isometric layout, place your graphics, player and set to 8way- walking behaviour?

Yes, kinda

Is it easy to create buildings or other big objects to get the the zorder properly done?

already getting tricky, unless you're using a zorder plugin.

But still it doesn't work properly if the objects are to big.

You're forced to create walls which are really short in the lenght and puzzle them together while making sure it looks visually correct.

Is it easy to create a proper colision with such an environment?

No it's getting kinda annoying, especially if it includes weapons to shoot and you've limits with collision polygons. (performance issues) etc...

Is it easy to create multiple floors within an isometric environment?

I haven't found a working solution as of yet at all. Teach me

https://www.scirra.com/forum/isometric-multiple-floors_t121850

Is there any way to get realistic physics into an isometric environment?

forget about it...

All i'm looking forward to are some tools or behaviours or events or whatever to help us in the development of an isometric environment. And i'm sure i'm not the only one.

isometric... in my point of view is still one of the top notch layouts you can achieve in 2D.

And about 3D:

As mentioned before, there are for sure a lot of unexperienced game devs in the C2 community.

Creating 3D models for game development is really not easy and takes a lot of time.

I have experience with it, but i don't think that it fits the Construct engine at all.

Just my opinion thought.

• I'll have to agree with the "Against C3" people - as already mentioned there's a mountain of excellent tools, probably spearheaded by Unity and Unreal engine for "serious" development. C2 provides excellent tools for fast prototyping and making products that fit its target platform - HTML5.

All the people asking for 3D and built-in isometric engines and what not so very often honestly feels a little ridiculous - if you need that just switch to a different engine. C2 has been very open about what's possible and what's the expected output.

As for performance - mobile devices have basically already reached the pinnacle of resolution - there's no point to go beyond 300 dpi, the human eye simply won't see the difference. So you won't have to go beyond Full HD in the next year or next 20 years - the human eyes won't magically improve (well, probably). Devices currently coming out easily work with that resolution at a decent pace and they won't slow down - which means that as the time goes on your limits will stay the same, but device power and support will only improve enabling A LOT more to be achieved. Not to mention desktop PCs which are already beasts and will, obviously, also continue to improve.

I for one hope that C2 continues improving, gaining new useful functions and as time goes by HTML5 export to mobile platforms improves as well to eventually reach that desired "One click" stage.

What I want in C2 for 2015 is simple - random values in object parameters - so, for example, you put random(360) in angle inside the editor and every time the object is spawned it has a random angle - would make event lists so much cleaner.

Switch to other game engine like appgamekit2? Apk2 has a 3D engine and supports blendergameengine, but it is very difficult to handle. I guess that C2 is the easiest game engine. How difficult is scripting? Leadwerks and unity are easy to learn?

• Everade

About isometric (General) from me. Bullet shoot is easy. Control in topdown. I guess something with container you should use. Bullet topdown and isobullet.

• Everade I see what you want. I'm doing iso game, but it's more like zelda. But if I remember correctly someone did post an capx how to do what you're after, granted, most probably not as easy as it could be done with premade plugins.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)