What Is The "Memory Use" ?

0 favourites
  • Hi guys.Here's my question.

What is the "memory use" bottom of the construct 2 screen?

Is that RAM use or total used disk space on device?

• It's regarding RAM memory.

• It's regarding RAM memory.

Thanks

• that's how much your sprites take in memory.

maybe all images compressed and spritesheeted use ~10mb but when cut and loaded in memory in their raw format they use 205mb. on that layout

• that's how much your sprites take in memory.

maybe all images compressed and spritesheeted use ~10mb but when cut and loaded in memory in their raw format they use 205mb. on that layout

if you are sure about that,that's a good news.

• Yes, the images are decompressed before loaded into memory.

https://www.scirra.com/manual/183/memory-usage

[quote:3uv4df2v]First of all it is important to note the image format has no effect on memory use. You can save on your project's download size by setting some images to PNG-8 or JPEG format in the image editor. However this does nothing to memory use: compressed images cannot be directly rendered, so upon loading all images are decompressed in to a 32-bit ARGB bitmap format. This means each pixel takes four bytes for the alpha, red, green and blue channels.

Consequently, the approximate memory use of an image is simply its number of pixels multiplied by 4. For example a 100x100 image would use 100 x 100 x 4 = 40000 bytes, or about 39kb. A HD-sized image at 1920x1080 would take 1920 x 1080 x 4 = 8294400 bytes, or about 7.9mb.

• Hi,

I'm developping a game for Ios and Android with construct 2, and I would like to know the maximum memory I shouldn't exceed.

I have 60 sprites (360*640 pixels) and it already consumes 50 Mb of memory, could I go up to 250 Mb without slowing the game ?

I have used sprite sheets to reduce consumption, if you have some advises I want.

Thanks

• Hi,

I'm developping a game for Ios and Android with construct 2, and I would like to know the maximum memory I shouldn't exceed.

I have 60 sprites (360*640 pixels) and it already consumes 50 Mb of memory, could I go up to 250 Mb without slowing the game ?

I have used sprite sheets to reduce consumption, if you have some advises I want.

Thanks

For Android NO. 50 MB is just about right for Android. The lower the better.

For iOS I don't know. I think it was 100 MB but I haven't tested that myself. Of course it would vary for each device.

• Thanks MPPlantOfficial,

I have a png32 spritesheet wich is 424 ko,

When I import the spritesheet it takes 24 Mb of memory due to decompression,

I intend to do 5 more spritesheets like this, not counting the backgrounds and etc..

I have found a super software called TexturePacker, there is a mode called trim wich optimize the space between sprites and the image is two times less weight.

But I find No way to import trim spritesheets in construct 2, is there a way to do this ?

• mahe: Constuct 2 handles spritesheeting on export of your project nonetheless, so it does not matter what kind of spritesheet you import, the exported spritesheet used in the project will be as detailed in this tutorial.

As for the "Memory use" within the editor, note that it is only an estimation not the actual measure on execution.

Nothing beats testing directly on the target platform, and this is the way you will be sure what your platform may handle.

Finally, make sure to not waste your memory.

• Thanks Kyatric,

I have read Ashley's tutorial concerning memory saving,

We planned to make a Whack a mole game for Mobile,

For the moment we have 63 sprites (each sprite is 189*292 pixels) and we made a spritesheet wich is 1700*2044 pixels with all the sprites,

even when I import that Spritesheet into a blank project, memory use is already 22,6 mb.

I don't want to reduce the resolution of each sprite because 189*292 is enough small I think for phone and tablet games.

With 7 spritesheet and other stuff we will exceed 170 mb for the project.

What transformation can I do on my sprites before or after spritesheeting in order to decrease their weight ?

There are Png with 32 bits 189*192 sprite wich use each above 40 Ko each.

link to one sprite :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/daph8wq4lsr42 ... 4.png?dl=0

Thanks

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Also Can I convert a png with 32 bit to a lighter format ? Even If there is some loss.

Thanks.

• mahe My game had 175mb memory use and game was working fine on android htc sensation (released in 2011).

Here's the game : https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .puzzlewar

• Thanks Takamoto, I feel reassured concerning memory now ! I will use 170 mb max, I thought I could'nt exceed 100 mb.

• Also your game seem to be nice ! And good graphics !

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)