What is considered High Mem usage for Pc?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A space themed game with high quality 2D graphics and addictive music that provide hours of fun
  • Hi.

....In C2 it states my Mem Usage Estimate is 580. ...

If you go by the value in your editor, that value is likely the one indicating the current biggest layout with objects.

If like me you use dedicated layouts to store objects, which do not get loaded during gameplay (the layout), then that estimate is not a representation of how much memory your game will use, but in fact the layout which currently uses the most memory.

I tend to split my dedicated layouts now, objects, characters, etc. with a result indicating much lower estimated memory usages for the biggest layout (likely the layout filled with most unique objects/animations)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • =) im aiming to use 512mb of Vram =)

my boyfriend its a very skillful artist and a profesional animator (he worked at a animation studio before this)

and im glad we can feel a little more freedom wiht our art...to make the best looking game we can

• > And i had to create the same asset 4 times to use on the different layers due to OpenGL HUE n Blur performance issues on mobile devices.

>

I did not understood this part, what is it about?

Basically the same trees are going off into the distance. Layer 1 has a copy. Layer 2 has the same tree. But i wanted the trees to blur as they go further into the background. Originally i did this with one tree and just reused it on the back layer and applied Blur n Hue FX on that layer.

However on mobiles the performance drops to 10fps when i do this.

So i took the same tree, rescaled and blurred it in Photoshop and use it on Layer 2. 3 and 4.

So effectivly i have 1 tree with 4 different PNG files for it. Which sucks but there is no way around it

• I think a general rule of thumb if you want to reach a wide range of devices would be something like:

For mobile games: avoid going over 200mb (going over 100mb will probably still rule out devices with <1GB memory)

For desktop games: avoid going over 400mb (going over 200mb will probably still rule out devices with 256MB VRAM)

Exceeding those amounts will probably make your game only possible to run on high end devices, reducing the number of players who can play your game.

The OS and other applications will still be using VRAM, so to fit your game on a graphics card with 512 MB VRAM alongside the OS and other applications, it's probably best to stay under 400mb.

Consider using Spriter for animations - it's far more memory efficient. Also your screenshot appears to include a lot of redundant images (the blocks/slopes). Construct 2 should deduplicate truly identical images, but consider re-using the same ones if at all possible.

• Ashley

My RPG used 450mb with CocoonJS and it runs very well on all devices I've tested which had at least 1GB of ram. Still it was excessive and the load times were horrendous (40s!).. XDK got it down to around 240MB and loaded in 12s.

100mb is a very conservative limit.

I do agree the target is around 200MB, so that it can run on 512mb ram devices of which there are still plenty around.

Does Spriter work for mobiles via CJS or XDK?

• I think a general rule of thumb if you want to reach a wide range of devices would be something like:

For mobile games: avoid going over 200mb (going over 100mb will probably still rule out devices with <1GB memory)

For desktop games: avoid going over 400mb (going over 200mb will probably still rule out devices with 256MB VRAM)

Exceeding those amounts will probably make your game only possible to run on high end devices, reducing the number of players who can play your game.

The OS and other applications will still be using VRAM, so to fit your game on a graphics card with 512 MB VRAM alongside the OS and other applications, it's probably best to stay under 400mb.

Consider using Spriter for animations - it's far more memory efficient. Also your screenshot appears to include a lot of redundant images (the blocks/slopes). Construct 2 should deduplicate truly identical images, but consider re-using the same ones if at all possible.

I was aiming for 512mb well i guess i was near the point of 400

• lennaert

> Hi.

> I tend to split my dedicated layouts now, objects, characters, etc. with a result indicating much lower estimated memory usages for the biggest layout (likely the layout filled with most unique objects/animations)

>

Where can i find more info about this?

Ashley

The slopes appear redundant but it contains small animated grass.

I will go through a re-sizing exercise and re-size all my assets appropriately.

• lennaert

>

> > Hi.

> > I tend to split my dedicated layouts now, objects, characters, etc. with a result indicating much lower estimated memory usages for the biggest layout (likely the layout filled with most unique objects/animations)

> >

>

There isn't much info about this really, I've gone by replies from Ashley over the months, and distilled it down to that after some tests.

• What if I have a sprite 2048x2048 pixels and scale it up a little. Is memory footprint getting bigger then and what about exceeding size limit?

• lennaert

>

> > Hi.

> > I tend to split my dedicated layouts now, objects, characters, etc. with a result indicating much lower estimated memory usages for the biggest layout (likely the layout filled with most unique objects/animations)

> >

>

[quote:1j2sb8bs]Construct 2 displays an estimated memory use in the status bar. You should keep an eye on that. The estimate is based on the largest layout's image memory use, plus the memory used by two images the size of the window (which will probably be necessary by the OS or engine rendering system). With good image re-use, it should be easy to keep this under 60-80mb.

This is what is showed in the status bar, however, a more "legit" value would be by using the ImageMemoryUsage system expression, which will return the current memory use of the images currently loaded (which can help compare layouts memory use of images, to see if one of them is using a lot compared to others).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)