What Features Do You Want To See In The Future C2?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
professionally animated characters with Brashmonkey Spriter !
  • These are the only the only serious blocking features that need to be addresses on the C2 IDE side. Many requests can be done by anyone who is willing to actually do the heavly lifting to get work done. As an example if TileMap isn't good enough. Someone can do it themselves. However we can't make a plugin for say Modularity or an IDE based asset repository. There are some IDE elements that would be nice or could use clean up, but that's pretty minimal and will come with time. So below are my personal tops.

Modularity

Asset/Repository

APK Packer

Development device pushing for testing

Custom IDE development for tools(ie bezier curves for animation tweening)

Function used a primitive similar to Number, String rather than as a plugin.

• These are the only the only serious blocking features that need to be addresses on the C2 IDE side. Many requests can be done by anyone who is willing to actually do the heavly lifting to get work done. As an example if TileMap isn't good enough. Someone can do it themselves. However we can't make a plugin for say Modularity or an IDE based asset repository. There are some IDE elements that would be nice or could use clean up, but that's pretty minimal and will come with time. So below are my personal tops.

Modularity

Asset/Repository

APK Packer

Development device pushing for testing

Custom IDE development for tools(ie bezier curves for animation tweening)

Function used a primitive similar to Number, String rather than as a plugin.

Agree with everything you said. Also I'd add that dictionary and array should be primitives as well.

• The whole image editor/animation import workflow needs a massive makeover! I don't think it has been touched since I started using C2 (about a year and a half).

Having all on those floating windows, when you go into image edit mode is horrible and it needs to be unified into one window, ideally dockable. You should be able to update an animation from an external source much more easily than the current way. At the moment you can't even multi select frames to delete them...instead I usually create a new animation to replace, import into this, then delete the old one...drives me nuts every time!

For instance in After Effects, I can replace referenced frames at any time or replace the files that are referenced at the source, then refresh. If C2 really wants to step up to be more like a pro DCC app, then it needs to be able to externally reference assets, rather than "baking" it into the project structure...which , granted, does have its benefits (all being in one location and zipped into a capx). Choice is always a good thing!

Animations should be able to be scrubbed through in the image editor and have a decent transport bar. As primitive as MMF is, it is miles ahead in this respect.

Before anyone whinges that you don't need enhancements to the image editor, since they do it all in PS/Spriter etc, well so do I, but having more robust tools in here definitely would help with quick edits and prototyping. At the very least add a view grid option for pixel art, some more robust shape tools (circle, ellipse , square outline), transform manipulator for selection (scale, rotate) and some basic fx like blur/glow. Both GMS and MMF have better tools in this respect.

And please fix that colour picker in the image editor, it is still glitchy on every machine I have tried, even though I filed a bug report on this a while ago. The colour picker used for picking background colours is far superior...not sure why it is not reused?

• 1) Dynamic lighting system

2) Image editor upgrade

3) 3d objects support

• besides modularity

would like to see improvements on functions

shortcut to functions (much less scrolling, less distraction)

variable functionnames (to better rescoping, improve clarity of function)

variables that directly initiate parameters ( as setting a variable for each parameter gets tiring and not clean)

maybe functionality to collapse things without subeventing/grouping

for me a function is always subevented, because i want to collapse and minimize the code

also better search (no disabling events, just colorindicated and goto next searchterm)

• Adding features to the event pages:

ability to print,

ability to compare old/new revisions,

ability to import chunks (ok it is hard, maybe asking you which objects you want to use for the new one)

color coding the background of event boxes (and/or more different colors of bookmark tag)

Search and replace (that will also do it within parameter fields, for example when you have changed a variable name it is good)

And of course a million more items but people here have brought up them so I just wanted to bring up the events. Maybe adopting a few of the most popular plugins.

• I would like this question to have been asked by Ashley of the community rather than the OP.

• spongehammer There is not one thing that you would like to see in the future C2? This is just a small thread from the community,what is wrong with spreading ideas amongst ourselves.Im not saying that any or all of these ideas in this thread will take place,but its good for the devs to see what people want and how people feel about Construct 2.

I really love this engine and love talking about it just as much as i love using it.Scirra has changed my life for the better, if i can contribute by helping others spread ideas im more than happy to do so.

Alot of ideas that ive seen already are pretty epic,i would love to hear yours aswell.

helena the ability to print would be very useful,i wouldnt mind having it all on paper in a neat fashion.

• I would like this question to have been asked by Ashley of the community rather than the OP.

That would have being ideal, since it would have meant that C2 closed a development cycle and is ready to enter a new one

I see nothing wrong in some constructive and well intended criticism though. Ashley doesn't have to follow our thinking, nor has being forced to derail from his current priorities.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • RookieDev

Of course there are lots of things i would like to see sorted and added, and have in fact mentioned a few over the months. I too love C2 as it has allowed me to do so many things i could have never hoped to. Its nice to have wish lists, it would also be nice to see a concrete path regarding the direction of C2.

I have no idea how things are prioritised as far as features and upgrades are concerned and i would assume Ashley does indeed take notice of suggestions in threads like this. Lets hope so

• Would love a way to more easily export games to various formats without downloading extra 3rd party stuff.

• 10) I think that the layout properties and the project properties should be somehow combined into a single panel. I understand that most of us are probably already used to it, but having to click into a small "view" link to access similar in function properties is strange and, most importantly, having them separately as they are now, is confusing to new users that haven't yet realized the difference between "Window" and "Layout" size, or where did the "effects" link for the layout went after clicking the "view" link and how to get it back...

I know that I was frustrated at first and had found it very disorientating. I am still bothered by the workflow, especially if I am in the Event Sheet and have an object selected. To access the project properties, I am forced to toggle back to the layout view, click on an empty space, then click the little "view" link. At least I know what I have to do now, I am not lost in the process.

• 1- Preload all sounds will be great.

2- Rise all volume by x db and reduce all volume by x db will be awesome, and help you when making your main menu options.

• Cool, I was looking for a recent thread like this, I've been using C2 a lot recently and wondered if there was somewhere I could suggest stuff. Maybe a bit long to read, but here goes

Persistent Objects - Reset Game

The persistence behaviour is potentially so useful, but if the player returns to the main menu and presses 'New Game' then everything is still persistent. Only a browser refresh will fix it, which is not very good really.

New Idea - Colliders

I often use hidden sprites pinned to the player to check for various collisions, I know 'collision at offset' can help avoid this, but I've found that it won't work when you want to have gaps inside sprites or odd shapes. Also you end up with loads more objects.

My idea for this is to add something into the collision mask section of the image editor, so it works like image points. So you can add additional collision shapes to the sprite and then check for collisions in the same way as extra image points, something like sprite>overlapping backdrop at collision mask(1).

If you could have a number of these per sprite and rename them as per image points, then that would offer a lot of flexibility. No idea the technical challenges this may present to implement though.

Group & Layer Naming

It would be nice if, when renaming groups or layers, all references to them were also renamed (as per variables etc). This is not that big a deal if you're aware of it though I guess.

Steam file associations

Would like to be able to double-click a Capx without steam trying to install the free version of C2. Would also be nice if turning off the Beta updates worked without me having to re-install the free version.

Tilemap & Sprite seams

Everyone knows about this, with tile maps I know the recommended settings should fix it, I'm Ok with everything but letterbox integer scale, as in my tests it often results in an unplayable game size on smaller resolutions. The seams between sprite appear on export by design, and I guess there must be a way around this? This is probably a naive request, but on a basic level it would be nice if everything at least looked the same in the editor and preview as it does when exporting (just on the same machine/browser I mean obviously)

Music & Audio

This is the only thing about C2 that I genuinely hate. To be fair it could be partially browser issues, but this is my experience of audio:

So I can't play more than 1 music file at once, in fact I can't even change between music files; once I've started playing one then all others are ignored. Seems impossible to get music to sync with anything too, if you want that to be a core element of gameplay then forget it basically. Everything about using music is terrible, only reliable way is to put everything in the sounds folder. Of course putting things in the sounds folder means it doesn't stream. I already have to preload every single sound effect up front or they just won't play, with large music files the it's not viable on a web game. Waiting until all sounds have finished preloading until you start the game doesn't seem to work either. There also seems to be odd delays on sound files that again remove the possibility of creating something with tight focused audio that syncs to the gameplay.

Edit: came across as a bit angry when talking about the audio stuff there; it does annoy me, but for the record overall I'm really pleased with C2.

• Steam plugin

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)